Coon Attack...What is the best food to put in a trap...besides chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenzoo, Oct 25, 2008.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I had a coon kill two of my roos and then go to my other pen a few days later and kill two hens and some quail. What type of foods have you found helpful in trapping them?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Tuna flavored canned cat food.

How did the coon get in?

3. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    I'm sorry to hear about your losses. The best luck I have had is with stinky tunafish and canned cat food. Good luck!

4. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

A fried piece of bacon or a can of tuna fish can't be turned down by many critters. Best of luck on the catch!

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I use to have problems with racoons and the best thing is canned cat food. Worked every time [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Marshmellows. No risk of catching the working cats.

Placement is 99% of the battle though.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

a shiny piece of aluminum foil ,, their like crows,, love shiny things,, you can even put a ball of foil in a small jar, and when they reach in to grab it, they make a fist, and if you got it sized right, they cant get their hand out cause they WONT let go of the foil,, hehe [​IMG]

8. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Plain old dry cat chow has worked well for me. I've caught two in the past week or so.

9. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    I used to trap, and sardines work great. Drip the oil all around and into the trap.

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

You can always catch a raccoon with tuna fish and you can always catch a stray cat with sardines. Skunks like both so if you are trying not to catch your local skunk, put it in an area where you can set the trap up a couple feet, on something you do not care about because they will haul everything in through the wire on the cages.
    Either that, putting a 1 foot high fence type barrier around it so the cat or coon can get to it.
    If you want to catch wood chuck, broccoli and watermelon.
    I was taught by an old timer that spent his life trapping and hunting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by