Coon b gone...

Got one last night, the old school way. Saw the eyes glowing by the Meatie tractor. Let the dog loose and grabbed my .22lr. Dog treed teh coon, shot the coon in the tree. Only problem, the coon died in the tree. Still there this morning.

I didn't tie my trap down but I am setting it again tonight and will probably use a piece of rebar that I found in the bed of my truck. It's amazing how quickly junk accumulates back there and I always enjoy the surprises that await me everytime I get around to cleaning it out!

You tube videos gave alot of the information I was looking for. One mentioned covering it with leaves and branches to make it feel like a tunnel or a burrowed cave. Others mentioned wearing gloves when handling your traps so as to throw off the human scent... one mentioned using a can of sardines.

I didn't have any sardines but I have a nice tuna can collection in my pantry so I cut one open about 2/3rds of the way and using a butter knife I gently opened the can a little bit. To cover the "human scent" I just poured some of the tuna water on the handle of the trap and the areas where I know I touched like the latches. Then I put the can in the middle of the area just past the spring square in the trap.

Also, not sure if it made a difference or not but I had the burn barrel going with a few branches and it smoked for hours... not sure if that also threw off the human scent...

Like I said this was my first time ever doing this and I'm kind of super stitious... so I will probably do the exact same steps the next time around!

As I type this I am able to peer through the window out to the field where I placed cooter coones carcas and I see a bunch of big vultures tearing him apart! Priceless...

Quote:
Oh, ick. Need to use something with a little more ooomph than the .22 so it'll blow 'em OUT of the tree!
tongue.png

I've caught 3 coons this week
hmm.png
I probably could've caught more if I would have staked the trap down to begin with. Caught 1 the first night I set it, and nothing the next. Walked out to the coop the next night at about 11 and caught the nasty little
rant.gif
flipping my trap around the run (I'm baiting with eggs- he'd flip the trap and the eggs would fall out). The next night I began staking the trap down and have caught 2 in 2 nights. Now I'm wondering how many more I have to trap before they stop coming.............filthy varmits!

When trapping - try sardines in oil. They really stink and it really gets their attention. Last summer, I shot and killed 5 with 7 shots. Pretty good if I do say so myself. My family was at a baseball tourney and I had to take matters in my own hands. After the "deed" I lined them all up and took a picture. The gun had a scope on it but because it was in aircondtioning and I took it outside the humidity made the scope cloudy and I couldn't use it. So I had to "site" shoot them. I broke my 17 year old Son's record of three in a day.

Wasn't able to stake the trap into the ground last night before setting it.

Woke up this morning and checked... trap was shut, ruts all around the trap and empty can of tuna.

Back
Top Bottom