coon for 4 last night

hobbz

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Flatwoods, KY
Went up to feed/water them this morning and opened the coop door and only saw 6 of my girls. I figured the other 4 were outside playing. I looked and didn't see any. So I then said a few bad words and looked a little closer. I saw 3 of the bodies laying up next to the fence on the inside and lots of feathers on the outside. The 4th body I never did find so it must have actually been pulled thru the chicken wire and welded wire.

I can only figure that these girls didn't go inside to roost last night as they just started going outside yesterday and they got ate.

I can't open close the coop door every morning/night because of my work schedule so I will just have to deal with the loss and hope it doesn't happen again.

I read something about racoons, runs & chickens on here a while back. Someone actually watched how the racoons went about it. They went to the corners & the chickens would have been OK if they'd stayed in the center, but they didn't. If yo could put some plywood up at the corners - or maybe some cinder blocks you might be OK. I hope that helps.
hugs.gif
Sorry for your loss.

i just went up and put corrigated metal, same as my roof. around the bottom of the run. I have chain link 3 feet out on the ground and the roof is covered with welded wire, so i don't think they can get in either of those ways.

I also had to stop by TSC and pick up 3 RIR pullets and 3 unknown white pullets. The wife is happy again.

I knew the coon has been around, but hasn't got anymore, so i put 3 traps out last night. not live traps, but the old style metal jaws traps. well the stupid thing got hit front arm in one trap, and his head/mouth in the other. he was still alive when i got home from work today and went to check the chickens and finished him off with the taurus judge...

Quote:
did you use the .410 or the .45LC? Inquiring minds want to know........

Ps, the judge is the next on my Christmas list. Hows it shoot?

Back
Top Bottom