Coon (GOT IT-- With PIC)

BrahmaBrock - is there a humane way of rehoming them "out of this world" without a gun? I don't have one, I wouldn't know how to use it if I did, and I live in a somewhat suburban area (houses close by)...
barnie.gif

Quote:

Depending on where you live, there may be a hunting group interested in your trapped raccoon. They let it out on hunting property and take their dogs out... maybe not humane, but its letting the dogs do whats natural..

NOTE: I caught a coon in a live trap a couple weeks ago. By morning it had managed to escape the trap. So check your trap's soundness often.

Quote:
Best coon hounds I ever had as a kid were pups who had a big coon stuffed into a rope bag and put into their pen. They couldn't hurt the coon and the coon did minimal damage to them but those were real coon haters!

Quote:

I found that I stand when the skunk can't see me, wait until tail is down and then shoot it with a 22 through the chest. Most they won't spray. Head shots have always resulted in them spraying.

I always stack cement blocks around the back half of my live trap to keep them from reaching into it and getting the bait. This forces them to go in the front like the trap is designed for. I guess you could always line the outside of the trap with hardware cloth as well. I also always use dry cat food. No real reason other than It was what I was taught and it works for me every time.

aaronh,
Before I moved to the 15 acres I have now I lived in a suburban area. My neighbor caught a coon in a trap and stuck the trap under his tail pipe of the car, put a blanket over the trap and let the car run for an hour. Permanent dirt nap for the coon... No gun.

Quote:
Love this post!

I would like to ad what I read on here about using the traps. Dig a small area then put the bait there. Place the trap so the bait will be under the part it would be in the live trap. Place something heavy on top of the trap.Use a piece of re bar to go through the trap vertically and into the ground.

All this is so the trap can't be moved by the animal when trapped.

And to the OP-Great catch!

Edited for sp.

Last edited:
Quote:

You might try the car method someone said here. I think I've also read people drowning them in ponds or a barrel of water. I'm not sure I agree with the drowning being humane because it will be struggling for air under water. Might even check with dept. of wildlife in your area and see what they recommend, never know, they might come out and pick it up for you. Good luck with it, they are smart little critters.

Back
Top Bottom