Coon in the daytime!

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Mom just called to tell me that we have a coon roaming the cornfields. He doesn't seem much interested in the chickens, but he's sure out there, at 2:00 in the afternoon and he's not acting ill.

Anyone know how common this is? Could it be a matter of him being hungry due to there being snow on the ground for 4 weeks solid (and not a little snow, either, over a foot)? Or is he a parvo coon and just not showing symptoms yet?

Raccoons are nocturnal, they go out looking for food at night. On occasion they will forage during the day, particularly the female if she has young. Contrary to popular opinion raccoons seen during the day are not necessarily rabid and not all raccoons have rabies.​

It's a little early for young in this area, I would think. Carrying yes, but actually having them, probably not.

My dad always told me that coons seen during the day should be shot that they are sick. He is 83 so there ya have it
wink.png
He tends to stick to the old wives tales. I have never seen one in the day time tho, ever.

I'd love to shoot him :p Unfortunately I'm 25 miles away. I'd need artillery to hit him from here XD

I've actually seen coons out in the afternoon wandering around fields quite a bit this time of year. I really don't think they were all rabid and I felt bad about dispatching them. That was of course until I made a bad shot at a fairly long distance and only grazed the one. It looked up at me a began to run directly at me. Fortunately my second shot killed it and I've never really felt guilty about it since.

This time of year it's not that unusual, food is scarce and they're just looking for sustenance. They prefer to be out in the evening/morning just because over time that's become the norm, but they aren't actually nocturnal, or not totally so.

I know someone who has the room to leave a big pile of feed, (whole cob corn) a good distance away from their barns and coops (probably a mile or more!) every spring. I sort of disagree with this, but it's an option I suppose. It's a pretty big pile too, at least a pickup truck full, sometimes two! I'm not sure at all if I agree with it, but it's not my place to say either...

I can imagine that doing far more harm than good. The old lady across the street used to feed coons -- she went into a home about 9 month ago, so they've had time to disperse, but previously their numbers were insane. She also fed deer and turkeys. We didn't mind the turkeys much, but waking up to find that 150 deer had moved on from nibbling corn across the street to eating all the trees in our front yard was not pleasant. And unfortunately 150 isn't an exaggeration either; we counted.

Well, I guess it's good that it's not too far out of the ordinary for this time of year. It's bad that I don't know what to do with my chickens. If she's where I can see her when I'm home, I shoot her, but I sure can't ask Mom to do that and I'm not home all the time.
sad.png

I agree Uzuri, if it were nearer to any residences or barns I'd be even more worried... also, it's not an ALL the time thing, he just dumps a truck-load out in the early spring and swears it keeps critters away during the 'hard times' ... I agree it makes me uncomfortable, but I can see his point too, though I wouldn't do it either and I wouldn't encourage it either.

Coons out in the daytime is common. They have to eat, too. Just make sure they can't get to your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom