coon-lead masacre, how to kill?

Quote:
True, they can be vicious little things! LOL

My husband trapped one once years ago and and knocked in the head with a limb. Then he goes to remove it and it comes back alive with a vengance! It latched on to him everywhere it could. He finally wrestled it down into the creek and drowned it and then headed to the ER because he was all torn up. Then on top of that the ER doctor wanted to lecture him on how he deserved it for trying to kill that poor animal....
roll.png
Especially since the doctor found out he was trapping it for fur.

Don't go into hand to hand combat for sure!
smile.png

Last edited:
DEFINITELY kill it. We never had to kill a 'coon, but we've had to "dispose" of opposum that like to come in the barn and eat the cat's food. Unfortunately, it usually takes 3-4 slugs from a .22 to kill them, so you might need something more powerful.

Talked to farmers (many years ago) who witnessed raccoons trying to drown their good hunting dogs. They are pretty smart, and you don't want to be bitten by one. My beautiful (now gone) GS/Collie mix---all 105 pounds of her--tree-ed some 'coon babies one time, and they were vicious even at that stage.

So SORRY for your loss! After the tears, reinforce your coop and get some more birds.

I would have to mirror what's already been said.

I wouldn't mess with a 'coon. Those things are mean and tough. I would say get a .22 bolt action rifle with some subsonic cartridges. I'd try and shoot 'em just about where the shoulders meet the neck. You should hit the spine and kill them quickly or immobile them and finish them off with a head shot.

Back
Top Bottom