coon-lead masacre, how to kill?

trap it in a live trap,take it outside the city limits,,get a gun toten friend to shoot it,everyone you trap ,,kill it,I hate coons,they are cold blooded killers
old.gif

BB gun to the head should kill it........... ive never done it and dont know if it would but ive killed gophers and stuff with my airgun and its not that loud. Good luck! i hate darn stinkin coons! they almost killed my dog and are just a big nuisance
rant.gif

Please don't even think about relocating a coon. Those things carry rabies and several other diseases. You stand a good chance of infecting other animals in the relocation area. Nobody wants coons in their neighborhood - especially a rural farmer trying to grow things. If you haven't got the stomach for killing it yourself , check on Craigslist for a trapper. Many people still tan coon hides and will come and take care of the pest for you if you have it in a live trap.

Doug

Buy yourself a good pellet rifle and pop that sucker in the head right in its ear. Dont be shy about letting it have it multiple times either. A good pellet rifle will do the job and is very quiet. Thank god I live in the sticks were I can load up the ole remington and throw some lead around no matter what hour.

Is there any way you can modify your coop to keep coons out in the future? Maybe bury some hardware cloth or galvanized metal, a foot or two down, around the perimeter, to keep them from digging under again, and reinforce everything else . . . then you might not have to figure out how to dispatch one.

hmmmm, high-powered pellet gun? I'm going to look into that one.

Now, what about traps that kill? Is it better/safer to live trap and make sure it gets killed?

Don't worry about us relocating. The previous post about an angry coon opening the cage while in the car with us was enough to scare the beegeezus out of us. We won't be trying that anytime soon.

Oh yeah, we have a mobile chicken tractor so burying hardware cloth isn't going to work with our current design. We are, however, considering a fort knox-esque re-design and maybe making a detachable run and a super secure henhouse.

Last edited:
All pellet guns are not created equal...a good springer (one pump, spring loaded) should do the trick, though...maybe .22 caliber.

Traps that kill would probably be dangerous to a rookie without someone that has experience with them...I think most are crushing-type traps. Live trap it, then kill it.

Good understanding that you have of the dangers of a coon. I had a friend of mine that was an old knarly navyman that got shot up in WWII. He drew a disability check but lived in the woods...we always said we could strip him down naked, throw him out in the swamp, and he'd survive fine. One day he was checking traps in some backwater cypress stands and had an old boar coon in a leg trap. He went to drown the coon by holding it down with his boot...only problem is that the boar coon slipped out from under his boot and was VERY TICKED OFF!!! Another problem was that at that time my old friend had a broken arm in a cast so he couldn't get his pistol out of it's holster. When I finally saw him the next day he looked like he had been soundly and repeatedly whipped with a couple of strands of barbed-wire. Yelp, coons are bad. Shoot, just get a feral cat in a livetrap and see how mean they are...then multiply that 1000 times! Be careful handling the trap, the garbage can full of water is a good idea. Also, if you have a .22 pistol or rifle they make .22 short cartridges or .22 subsonic cartridges that do not make the tell-tale "CRACK!!!" of standard .22 cartridges.

As for a portable tractor within the confines of a residential yard you might look into putting an electric fence around the perimeter and feed it from a tall pole centrally located....kinda of a "tether" electric feed system.

Best wishes,
Ed

Quote:

Quote:
You need a gun and a trap. Recommend a .22 bolt action rifle and .22 CB Short ammo(very quiet, sounds like a twig snapping).

A mean coon WILL attack you and hurt you. Best to catch it in a live trap and shoot it in the trap.

Chances are your coon is in or has a family. They WILL be back and they kill for fun.. An electric fence will USUALLY help.

If you decide to use poison, PM me. I have the best recipe.

Good luck..........Pop

Back
Top Bottom