Coon trap set.... Questions

ragerkid2

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Johnstown Pa
I am setting a live humane trap for coons and i'm going to catch and let them them go somewhere els. We feed the dear corn but i figured id take it into the woods instead of putting it near the corn. Do coons eat corn? I guess i should set the game camera out!, so its in the woods right off to the side of a trail near the brush and weeds. I have some marshmallows in their... Do you think they will find it? i tried to rub the marshmallows in the trees for smell purposes before i threw them into the trap... Any help that would direct me to better trapping would be greatly appreciated!
~Brandon

Quote:
I'd LOVE to catch cats. We have them feral around here. I feel so bad for them. I originally got the trap for them but I couldn't catch any
sad.png

The food would always be gone but no cats.

Last edited:
Dig out a depression place the bait in that and put the trap over the bait with the trip plate just above the depression. Be sure to somehow prevent the trap from being moved.

You are much better off to shoot the coons, cats, ect than to relocate. For one is most states it is illiegal to relocate live animals two you are just giving someone else a problem. You will being the critter a greater in justice by relocating it. It will most likely be attacked by the resident criiters and may very well starve. If you are worried about being cruel to the animal then just keep feeding it your chickens.

Relocating Problem Wild Animals
Not as humane as you might think
Many people believe that it is more humane to relocate problem wildlife than to kill the offending animal. Click For Euthanasia Chambers While on its face, this idea seems to make sense. Taking the animal and putting him back into the woods, "where he belongs" sounds reasonable.
Unfortunately for the animal, relocation has a number of bad side effects.

1. Relocated animals must find new food sources in an unfamiliar environment.

2. Relocated animals must find new shelter in an unfamiliar environment. In the winter time, relocated wildlife have precious little time to find shelter.

3. Relocated animals must do number 1 and 2 above while avoiding predators. It must also do those tasks before weather, food and water conditions take their toll.

4. Your relocation may result in the deaths of young through starvation that have now lost their mother from your relocating her away from her young.

5. Relocating animals raises the risk of relocating a disease like rabies to new and uninfected locales. Like what happened with the Mid Atlantic Rabies Outbreak.

6. It may also be illegal in your state.

Last edited:
Stake the trap down or they'll roll it.
Only open 1 door- then put the bait all the way back by the shut door so that they have to step over the trip plate to get the bait.
Use canned cat food.
Once you've caught the coon, tie a heavy rope to the trap, and relocate the coon to a lake. After 10 minutes, pull the trap out of the lake and dispose of the soggy dead coon.

More coons feed at our deer feeder than deer! We have a cuddeback camera setup so we know they love corn! We also know they love corn due to the fact that they can take down a whole crop of sweet corn on the night before we plan to pick it!

Back
Top Bottom