Coon uses MY OWN Livetrap as a buffet.... Gah!!!!!!

Quote:
That's awful. When we set our live trap for the first time, we didn't weigh it down and the raccoon ate the bait and dragged it around the yard for a while before he made his escape. We got a bigger trap (b/c the only way we could figure he got out was if half of him was stuck in the door, keeping it open) and weighed it down with a cinder block. That did the trick. 5 coons later...and we're hoping the problem is gone (until the next group moves in).

Quote:
That's awful. When we set our live trap for the first time, we didn't weigh it down and the raccoon ate the bait and dragged it around the yard for a while before he made his escape. We got a bigger trap (b/c the only way we could figure he got out was if half of him was stuck in the door, keeping it open) and weighed it down with a cinder block. That did the trick. 5 coons later...and we're hoping the problem is gone (until the next group moves in).

this is a good idea I use a long rod with a washer welded on top to nail the trap down at opposite corners so it cannot be moved or flipped I put my bait in a hole in the ground under the trap trigger

Camelot Farms wrote: Who would have thought? I went out this morning to check my live trap. I had baited it last night with some eggs and placed it in our barn near our pens.
Livetrap is NOT where I left it. Hmm. Not a good sign. Found it around the corner with one of my call ducks in it. Well....most of my Call duck was in it. I had a beak, feet and some of the body.

Poor quack
sad.png

I'd suggest placing live traps at locations where the coons will more than likely enter property (drainages/deer paths/in suburbia right up the driveway), nowhere near runs coops (set near poultry coon might experience some vague semblance of indecision and test the coop first).

aprophet is right on money re:securing trap n place and bait location (usually under trap), we use similar method with different heavy items on trap instead of rebar through openings to anchor into graound or the like (have lots of heavy pavers and silicified Lepidodendron-fossilized fern tree remnants-shot below). Have been using pond fish/catfish food for bait lately (feed the fish then charge the traps).
HH4.jpg

Some more ideas we've implemented with success: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=232969

Good
luck!​

Back
Top Bottom