Coons,Snakes,Foxes,and Hawks, ....Oh My

broomgal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
After reading the boards here I am kind of wondering if I opened a can of worms getting chickens- or is that a can of heartache?
So many sad stories and I hate to think of losing any of my little ones!! We have pretty much all of the above listed predators and then some.

I did wonder about the electric fencing- is that *on* all the time or is there a way to turn it on at night only? Hate to think of my daughter touching it accidentally.

I think I will just have to learn from experience as I go along here. I have a 12 x 15 enclosure I think is pretty secure but after reading now I am second guessing it!

On a side note I have only lived here in Oklahoma 3.5 years and for 3.2 of them I have thought the above listed predators were a fascinating part of my surroundings. Now all of the sudden I don't think they are so amazing anymore. Now I am looking at them with the evil eye...

There will always be good and bad times when you raise chickens. All we can do is try to protect them the best that you can. Good luck
frow.gif

The coons are the crafty ones. Be certain your enclosure fence is buried.

I'm in the MIDDLE of the fifth largest metro area and we have coyotes!... and ally cats and stray dogs. yeah... "Oh MY!"

Just went out to lock up my little 7 week olds. The older hens are already locked up tight in their coop and run.... and I'm building some more predator proof breeding pens.

Last edited:
Crafty Coons hmmmm... What type of locking mechanism do you all use?

If I tell DH I need a lock and key he will laugh me right out of the house! However it seems that they would be pretty nimble and smart enough to open a latch- mine is the type that a little bar slides across and then I flip it down. All of the sudden the bb gun is looking mighty pretty...

Quote:
Well how old is the kid? Cos once or twice is all it takes, and an electric fence should be low amperage and won't cause burns or anything serious. I promise she will learn fast, but for a real baby I would be nicer.

Here's what I would do if you want it to only be on at NIGHT. Get a photocell timer!
A plug-in style fence electrifier (not the solar or battery kind) can plug into the photocell sensor and voila! OR you could use a regular timer (like for Christmas lights) and set it for a certain time, like on at 6pm or when ever.

if ya live in the country make sure ya have a good gun and ya shot straight
and you follow the sss rule

shot shovel shut up

Thank you for the helpful advice- I think the electric fence will be fine- and we have plenty of timers- great idea. Electric fencing gives me flashbacks of being a city kid who moved to the country and not knowing what an electric fence was until I reached out to touch one. Guess it only takes one time..

SSS- will remember that for sure!!

I agree with cw if you can do it safely. Remember a .22 ricochet can travel for a mile. I personally like shotguns. Less chance of a ricochet and usually cleaner kills.

The electric fence is my first recommendation however. I'm never standing outside with a gun when I need it, especially as most predator attacks are at night.

Quote:
If you are focusing on the negatives in poultry rearing then you are setting up for problems in the beginning. Take a different approach starting now and embrace the many positives, instead.

Everyone has the same predators to deal with and thats what they do - deal with them. You can, too. So load some confidence on your wagon.

Electric fencing for preds is a good idea, but remember: predators are determined. They will endure the pain of the fence if they can, to get to the prize on the other side. It needs to be strong and powerful enough to deter them.

As for your daughter touching it, well... I can assure you she will only do it once. It's probaly best that young children be kept away from the chickens, anyway, unless it is with close supervision.

I would also counsel you against learning from experience alone. Everyone says that, but it's some the worst advice I've ever heard. Experience is actually a very poor teacher.... she always gives the test before giving the lesson.

Instead, get one good, concise book on the matter and study up BEFORE you make the leap.

I think its interesting to note how your view of "Nature" has changed - now that you are contemplating becoming a part of it.
It's very critter for himself out there, a fact they don't stress nearly enough on the Animal Planet.

Chin up, you're in the best place you can be. Remember: "The Sun is always shining, somewhere."

Last edited:
Quote:
If you are focusing on the negatives in poultry rearing then you are setting up for problems in the beginning. Take a different approach starting now and embrace the many positives, instead.

Everyone has the same predators to deal with and thats what they do - deal with them. You can, too. So load some confidence on your wagon.

Electric fencing for preds is a good idea, but remember: predators are determined. They will endure the pain of the fence if they can, to get to the prize on the other side. It needs to be strong and powerful enough to deter them.

As for your daughter touching it, well... I can assure you she will only do it once. It's probaly best that young children be kept away from the chickens, anyway, unless it is with close supervision.

I would also counsel you against learning from experience alone. Everyone says that, but it's some the worst advice I've ever heard. Experience is actually a very poor teacher.... she always gives the test before giving the lesson.

Instead, get one good, concise book on the matter and study up BEFORE you make the leap.

I think its interesting to note how your view of "Nature" has changed - now that you are contemplating becoming a part of it.
It's very critter for himself out there, a fact they don't stress nearly enough on the Animal Planet.

Chin up, you're in the best place you can be. Remember: "The Sun is always shining, somewhere."

Good answer and well said Dav

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom