Coop add on w/questions

catlikethief

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Portland OR
Hi all

We are buying a chicken coop off of craigs list tonight pending its delivery.

We built a coop a few months prior and just were not thinking of winter arrangements. With the price of plywood and the time (that my husband does not have) it would take to board up the coop it just seems pointless not to use a lightly used one instead for the winter, plus the one we're buying seems like it would keep them warmer.
This is the one we built before moving the nesting boxes lower and fixing the roosting area.
DSCN0005.jpg

This is the picture of the coop we will be getting tonight http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/851541912.html

Should
I just place it inside of my currant coop or connect it on the side as an add on? How long should I let the girls warm up to it before I make them sleep in it?

Thanks
-Linda

Last edited:
hi Linda,

I really love the one you built! Great doors on the front.

I have been watching that coop on Craigslist - it's in Vanc. right?

Placing that coop inside the run has to do with how many chickens you are going to keep in it I would think.

They may be happier if you can find a way to put it next to the run with an opening to it, so they can have maximum room to run around inside the fenced area.

smile.png

let us know what you decide

Quote:
Yeah it's in Vanc. We offered more $$$ if they were willing to deliver. We'll see this afternoon when it gets here. I personally would like to build the two coops side by side with an entrance into the larger of the two and use it as a run in the winter.

I currently have 7 chickens (5 fulls size and 2 small pullets.) I do not believe this coop on CL will hold 6 large chickens but we'll see
hmm.png

sounds like you've got a good idea...

The CL coop may hold all 7 just for sleeping purposes -- letting them out asap in the a.m. and putting them to bed at dark.

If you had a building against which you could put the back side of your existing coop, that might help shelter from wind/weather, although in Portland the chickens are not going to need a whole lot of extra protection unless you're exposed to east side winds.

Back
Top Bottom