Coop and protected run done - looking for comments/suggestions! Lots of pics!!

I'd say that the hooks need to be replaced. But if the entire system is enclosed...run and coop...then there should be no reason why you couldn't leave the coop door open while you're away. It's just like a chicken tractor then, right?

Yes, my DH takes great pride in his work, thank you!

IzzyMoon- how many chicks do you have? How do you like the poop board? It seems way too shallow to me, but I haven't used it yet. Seems like you could only put about 1/2 inch of shavings in there, but I guess you don't really need that much for at night. Can you send me a picture of your coop? Where are you located?

I'd say that the hooks need to be replaced. But if the entire system is enclosed...run and coop...then there should be no reason why you couldn't leave the coop door open while you're away. It's just like a chicken tractor then, right?

I thought chicken tractors were movable - this definitely is not moving! After I put better hooks on all the doors of the coop and run, it will be secure. They will only free range within the picket fence part when we are home and outside in the yard. We have a resident hawk and my husband saw him eating something for breakfast in the field behind our house the other morning . . .

I would recommend latches with carribeaners--simply because that's what we use and we have never had a problem. Simple hooks might be absolutely fine--but as you said, better not to learn the hard way. Furthermore, the satisfying clicking noise they make when you latch then really makes you feel like you're leaving your girls safe.
smile.png
Nice coop! I'm not sure I see the point of the lovely fence, though...if you're going to let them out, it will be an obstacle they will soon learn to get over. Good luck with your girls!

I would recommend latches with carribeaners--simply because that's what we use and we have never had a problem. Simple hooks might be absolutely fine--but as you said, better not to learn the hard way. Furthermore, the satisfying clicking noise they make when you latch then really makes you feel like you're leaving your girls safe.
smile.png
Nice coop! I'm not sure I see the point of the lovely fence, though...if you're going to let them out, it will be an obstacle they will soon learn to get over. Good luck with your girls!

LOL did I mention we are new at this??? If we clip their wings do you think they could still get over the fence?

LOL did I mention we are new at this??? If we clip their wings do you think they could still get over the fence?

If they want to, they'll go over the fence. Even with clipped wings. Now, I will say that I have a short fence around the garden and they don't go in there all that often because there is enough to scratch at elsewhere with less effort required. If you had enough space and interesting tidbits for them, they might not fly the fence. But, I'd guess that they'll tear that yard area up in no time and then go over the fence looking for more green stuff. If you really want or need them to stay in (for example, if there is a dog next door) then I'd add a top.

such a neat set up very cool, I may steal your little yard in the yard idea......love the grapes and thoughtfulness.......i started my chicken adventure thinkin three hens and a small chicken ark, even had it ordered and shipped from amazon, after finding this website realized way too small(sent it back) and maybe not safe enough.....now my dreams a reality we ended up with 9 chicks and an actual coop and run designed by someone with happy hens in mind!! I post recent pics too!
;-) Julie

Back
Top Bottom