coop and run advice

darlingja

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
Hi ^_^
I have wanted chickens forever, but my husband always say 'no'. Finally, my son turns 3 and is more compliance, so my husband said 'yes'. Lol
My question is: how many chickens can I fit comfortably in a 4x6 coop with 90 sq ft run. I plan to let them roam our yard every chance I get.
The run is just in case we need to be away.
I have already acquired 8 chicks who are now 4-5 weeks old. The coop should be done in 2 weeks.
I'm a stay at home mom with 2 young kids. So I'm home most days.
I didn't anticipate future chicken when my current flocks get old and I might need to add more chicken.
Also, we are in southern California, Los angeles county. So no snow, no rain (most time of year).
Thank you for all your time

Last edited:
In your weather they should be able to spend all day every day outside. Your heat is dangerous to them, they need shade and plenty of clean water. Make sure that coop has great ventilation.

You'll probably be OK with 8 chickens in that as long as they have access to the run when they are awake. I'd build the run really predator proof and leave the pop door open 24/7 so they can access it. If you leave them locked in that coop section only for periods of time when they are awake you could have trouble.

I'd consider 8 to be your maximum, adding more is very likely to cause problems. Roaming the yard when they can doesn't count as that space is not always available.

First things first: bigger is always better. But you should try to give at least four square feet per chicken in the coop. That's six chickens to your coop. If you free range them, you can fit twice the chickens in there. You generally want at least eight, hopefully ten, square feet in the run. You're good there.

In your weather they should be able to spend all day every day outside. Your heat is dangerous to them, they need shade and plenty of clean water. Make sure that coop has great ventilation.

You'll probably be OK with 8 chickens in that as long as they have access to the run when they are awake. I'd build the run really predator proof and leave the pop door open 24/7 so they can access it. If you leave them locked in that coop section only for periods of time when they are awake you could have trouble.

I'd consider 8 to be your maximum, adding more is very likely to cause problems. Roaming the yard when they can doesn't count as that space is not always available.
Thank you ^_^ our coop will have 8 windows on all sides and ventilation all around the roof. I will take your advice in predator proof and leave the door open for the chicks.

First things first: bigger is always better. But you should try to give at least four square feet per chicken in the coop. That's six chickens to your coop. If you free range them, you can fit twice the chickens in there. You generally want at least eight, hopefully ten, square feet in the run. You're good there.
Thank you ^_^ I should have thought of more chickens when this flocks get old. Any advice?

Thank you ^_^ I should have thought of more chickens when this flocks get old. Any advice?

You mean adding more in the future? If it comes to that, expand the whole set up at that time to fit your maximum anticipated number of birds. Think about how many eggs you'll need in a week and decide if you're going to keep retired layers (as you'll need to plan them into the total number).

You mean adding more in the future? If it comes to that, expand the whole set up at that time to fit your maximum anticipated number of birds. Think about how many eggs you'll need in a week and decide if you're going to keep retired layers (as you'll need to plan them into the total number).
Yes, adding more in the future. I read posts and it said chickens only lay for 3-5 years. I don't have the gut to kill them lol so I'll let them die of old age. That means I will have to get new chicks every 5 years? presumably. We are a family of 4 so 4 eggs per day would be ideal. But if we get extra we will bring them to mother in law.

Yes, adding more in the future. I read posts and it said chickens only lay for 3-5 years. I don't have the gut to kill them lol so I'll let them die of old age. That means I will have to get new chicks every 5 years? presumably. We are a family of 4 so 4 eggs per day would be ideal. But if we get extra we will bring them to mother in law.

If you want to keep up consistent egg production, plan on adding chicks every 2 years or so. By year 3 you may start seeing some decline in production. One of my hens completely quit at 3 1/2 yrs, my other older hens (now 4 yrs old) are producing about 3 eggs a week each, compared to my 2 yr olds that are still producing 5-6 a week.

Back
Top Bottom