coop and run measurements

Kimberly4403

Chirping
May 18, 2015
I know the minimum is 4sq feet chook in coop and 10sq feet in run but im so confused on the math can someone try and explain the formula to workout the right size coop and run for 3 chickens

Go with a coop that is 4 feet square at the minimum and you will be OK. The run could be 4' x 8' and also be OK.

If you went with a Wichita style , with coop elevated above the run, the whole thing could be 4' x 8'......coop with attached run. That is if space and money are tight. If you have plenty of both....space and money, go larger.

So roughly 1.2 meter by 1.2 meter for the coop and 1.2m by 2.4m for the run?

Last edited:
So roughly 1.2 meter by 1.2 meter for the coop and 1.2m by 2.4m for the run?

That would be close to the 4:10 rule, never a bad thing to go bigger especially for the coop, a 1.2 m cube is pretty hard to configure properly with roosting areas, vents, doors and so on... 1 meter by 2 meter would be easier to work with and lay out...

Last edited:
Yeah we only have a small backyard currently and im wanting it to be easily moveable so they dont kill off the grass etc in one place. My thinking is down tbe track when we move to our property i will eventually have a flock of 12 in a 3mx3m coop and 2 5x5m runs that will be used in rotation when the girls need to be secured if they cant free range. So this little coop will then be used then to intergrate new flock members 2/3 at a time as well as a quaranteen/hospital coop.

I like the two story types with coop up top if I did a 1x2m coop on top of a 1.5m x3m run would that be plenty of space for 3 heritage breed hens and still be small enough to move around like a chicken tractor

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom