Coop and run size??

jackn67

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Ireland
Hey guys
1f60a.png
so my coop is about 4x4 ft which for two chickens I think is pretty ok right?? And my run is only 6ftX3.5ft which I think is too small..should I just let my chickens free range or build on to the run? I don't know if they associate the coop with home yet and am afraid they won't come back if I free range them. I've had them for about 4-5 days now..what should I do?!

For two chickens you are okay - the coop has a bit more than the recommended minimum and the the run is barely below the recommended minimum (not to mention, those are really just guidelines, not hard set rules on space per bird) -- they are not at all over crowded within the confines of the setup so there is no *need* to free range them out of concerns on that basis. If you decide you want to free-range for other reasons when you feel comfortable doing so, do so.

Technically they are not overcrowded. However chickens are naturally busy creatures who love to roam about, scratch and forage. They don't naturally enjoy being confined in very small spaces. It would be easy and inexpensive to set up moveable net fencing around their coop/run that would enlarge their space and just give them more room to move about while still keeping them contained.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom