Coop behavior

bizzynik

Chirping
Apr 21, 2017
Kentucky
I have noticed in the last couple of days that the straw inside the nesting boxes aren't covered in poop like they used to be. They either look like no one has been in them, or all the straw has been tossed out. My hens are roughly 12 weeks old. Ideas? This is just a change in behavior since I've gotten the hens.

I have noticed in the last couple of days that the straw inside the nesting boxes aren't covered in poop like they used to be. They either look like no one has been in them, or all the straw has been tossed out. My hens are roughly 12 weeks old. Ideas? This is just a change in behavior since I've gotten the hens.
Since they're 12 weeks old, I thinking they've stopped sleeping in the nesting boxes at night and have been roosting. Maybe (although still young) they're starting to get an idea what the nesting boxes are for and are kicking the poop out a little.

To start with---Just for info--12 week old female chickens are called pullets---no need to look for eggs any time soon. As far as the poop---Have they been sleeping/pooping in the nesting boxes at night and Maye not doing that now---roosting on the roost???

Like others have suggested, they were probably sleeping in the nest boxes. Ideally, you want to stop that behavior so they use the egg box for laying and the roosts for sleeping. You don't want poop in there when they start laying! Can you block the boxes off so they don't have access? Get them used to sleeping where they are supposed to and then open the boxes back up when they are closer to laying age. Depending on your breeds, more like 18-20 weeks at the very earliest-and it may be much longer.

I had forgotten to close the door one night and remembered and when I went out we'll after dusk, all the chickens, pulleys and roosters were piled up on the roosting bars. They did sleep in the boxes when they were younger I'd seen it many times.

Back
Top Bottom