Coop build advice/suggestions?

Goatm0m

Chirping
Apr 16, 2022
East Tennessee
Hey! We are moving right along on the coop build. (That’s the Royal “we”) Just looking for any suggestions or red flags you might see. I have 2 pullets (hatched 8/14/22) in the tiny Amazon coop in the run but they need to be able to move out soon so I placed the slightly raised pallet to give them another place to hide From the approx 5 weeks older pullets.
The coop is 6 x 8, each run is 12 x 8. There will be a chicken door into each run, a human door on the roof high side and nesting boxes pushed out on the low roof side. Any suggestions for a less than standard sized human door? We are planning on leaving the space between the roof and ceiling beams open but covered with hardware cloth OR this cool shade screening I got from Premier to reduce wind and rain but still allow air flow. Do we still need to add some window openings? Or is that enough ventilation? We are in Southeast TN so not that cold that often in winter but hot and humid in summer.
DEABB7D0-B822-468F-8291-197979924CFF.jpeg B7C25448-44ED-4B13-A878-56A50AAD4099.jpeg F7212585-43B1-4722-85A0-09F60CD15033.jpeg DBAE8226-493D-42F1-AC59-6F5111195525.jpeg ECD9A848-5F30-4D5C-88D4-0EB2F068E7EC.jpeg

If it really doesn't ever get that cold and the run is fully buttoned up (no gaps bigger than 1/2") I really don't see any reason for solid walls other than in the predominant wind direction(s). Like if it's possible, I'd leave the 2 side walls (the 2 sides facing into the run in either direction) mostly open/wire mesh, or half wire mesh. That will give you a ton of ventilation for hotter summers and climate protection the rest of the year since the runs are roofed.

...Any suggestions for a less than standard sized human door?
Habitat for Humanity Restores often have lots of doors. Sometimes, they have very odd sizes that might work as is. Or I sometimes see solid wood doors that I think you could cut down to the size you want.

Otherwise, a door is not difficult to make. There are lots of directions and videos on ways to do it. Looking for how to make shed doors or how to make a screen door will give better results, these days, since "barn door" is such a style thing inside houses and chicken door tends to give pop doors.

So, SE TN is not exactly south Florida. I don’t feel comfortable having an open coop and the way it is situated leaving the run sides open would create a great wind tunnel. It can still get in the teens and wind chills are a thing, it just doesn’t last very long. Rain can also blow in any direction and sleet is not uncommon.
We are thinking of a window in the door and a larger window on the other side above the nesting boxes that can be covered as needed.
The chicks are hopefully getting fluffier now with nights in the 40s and 50s.
Still looking through all the links!

So, SE TN is not exactly south Florida. I don’t feel comfortable having an open coop and the way it is situated leaving the run sides open would create a great wind tunnel. It can still get in the teens and wind chills are a thing, it just doesn’t last very long. Rain can also blow in any direction and sleet is not uncommon.

Local conditions always override general conditions, but you might find this thread reassuring: https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/25324962

I've got the same issue with storms potentially coming from any point on the compass, so I put up a tarp on the fully-open end of my coop for the winter (and put it up early because of having a visit from Ian a couple weeks ago https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/prepping-coop-and-run-for-wind.1550228/ ).

Here we do actually have 'winter', and so we cover our open 'run' sides with sheet vinyl, leaving the top foot or so open for ventilation. It's all roofed, with overhangs (love yours!) so rain or snow don't blow in enough to matter.
20210102_145019.jpg

The south wall. That exterior door cost $8 at habitat, years ago.
IMG_0332.JPG

Summer, and that birch tree has since been pruned off the roof! Very dry conditions this summer, but still, that's what chickens will do to your lawn when free ranging!
And I'm planting a new shrub on the left corner, because they like cover.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom