Coop build and newbie

MakoMark

Chirping
Mar 22, 2023
Hi,
New to chickens, got 4 chick's now building coop. Live in pacific northwest, mile from ocean, Temps never above 75 or below 32. Bought plans for SK palace coop but after reviewing plans realized that and old shed was similar in size. Shed was in good shape except the roof edge was rotting! Roof over hang was wider then plans, roof angle was steeper, and roof height was different. So most of the dimensions went out the window.
Could have used the shed for the coop but didn't want to lose that storage. So I'm rebuilding the roof edge and extending the roof rafters 7 ft for a 6x12 coop/run.
My question is about windows and light. Since it really never gets hot, and the coop is in the shade for the most part, do I need windows for light, or extra ventilation? The top will have vent holes on both sides. Maybe just a light inside on a timer?
I'm having so much fun raising the two red and two golden sexlinks. Any ideas, suggestions, don't does, are welcome!
MakoMark

Attachments

• Resized_20230322_094156.jpeg
    Resized_20230322_094156.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 33
I would consider making sure to leave where the arrows are pointing open/protected with screwed-in hardware cloth. Also, the green triangles at the top secured with hardware cloth will allow 24x7 ventilation. (that's assuming those beautiful overhangs will be solid-roofed.) You want those triangles spots to be as big as possible without going so low that there will be a draft across your roost bar (12"-24" above the roost bar)

Resized_20230322_094156_edit.jpg

Another suggestion is to get a hinged hardware cloth protected panel on the bottom of that coop so that you can access underneath it from both sides. (roughly drawn in orange)

It's looking great!

do I need windows for light, or extra ventilation?
Yes, and yes. The chickens will appreciate natural daylight. More ventilation is better than less. It should be above the chickens' heads when they roost at night. Cover any openings with hardware cloth to keep out predators.

You want to plan for 1 sf of open ventilation for every chicken. "Open" means covered to keep out predators, BTW.

And,
:welcome

This is what my plan is. The green (ventilation) and the silver is 1/2 in hardware pvc cloth
The blue are opening outside doors, the red is nest box , the yellow is twin wall polycarbonate, the pink is the inner wall with 3x4 door, the orange is auto coop door. The black is plywood. The final will be to cover the outside with oak flooring that I have extra. Will finish the roof if it doesn't rain!

Attachments

• coop2 P1.png
    coop2 P1.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
To 3killerBes, thanks for your article on ventilation it helped in my build. You coop build is amazing and looks more like a condo! Unfortunately your weather is opposite from mine. High winds and temperatures that rarely go above 70 or below freezing I wanted my coop to protect against the winds, 80 mph is not unusual. I did put ventilation on both sides at the top, about 1 1/2 sqft each. Also on the front of the coop under the rafters. Closed it off with black 1/2 Sq. Now to build nest boxes.
20230401_185957.jpg

Back
Top Bottom