Coop build and newbie

Thanks K will definitely incorporate the the green vent areas, was wondering how to add the vents. I was thinking double doors in the orange, the nest boxes will be above but I believe your idea will work. Also thinking the feed could go thru the shed wall with 3 to 4 in pvc at 45 degrees. That way the feed can stay in the shed. Hope to do the deep litter with a full swing open door and three nest boxes on side but how high should the roosting bars be off the floor and should I have a main upper one and a lower one . Does the upper perch need a ladder? Four hens for now.
I' guessing your coop portion to be about 6'x6'. So long as you can access under it from opposite sides, you should be fine.

Food in the shed sounds like a good idea. I've always want to get a PVC feeder in place, but never to around to trying one.

I'm not sure what to recommend for the roost height. Lot's of 'it depends.' If you do deep bedding in the coop, that will raise the height of the floor. If you intend to use a poop board, then you'll need space for that. 4 chickens will need 4' of roost bar. More is always better ... but personally, I'd shy away from having 2 levels. The most important part of the roost height is having that space above their heads so that they don't catch drafts.

I hate shingle roofing, a 70 year old man with a bad back and a bad knee up the ladder carrying how much, what's not to like. No big deal when I was a younger man! At least tomorrow get to work on the coop, these girls are growing fast!

It's beautifully done.

But after we discovered the ease of working with metal on purlins my DH has decided that he'll never shingle a roof again.

To 3killerBes, thanks for your article on ventilation it helped in my build. You coop build is amazing and looks more like a condo! Unfortunately your weather is opposite from mine. High winds and temperatures that rarely go above 70 or below freezing I wanted my coop to protect against the winds, 80 mph is not unusual. I did put ventilation on both sides at the top, about 1 1/2 sqft each. Also on the front of the coop under the rafters. Closed it off with black 1/2 Sq. Now to build nest boxes.View attachment 3452782

I'm so glad that my article was helpful.

It's always critical to build for your OWN conditions, not anyone else's conditions. :)

That's why I tried to show the air circulation for a number of different styles and type of coop -- we all have our own climate challenges to deal with.

Work is slow in this rain but some progress

Attachments

• 20230405_174632.jpg
    20230405_174632.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230405_175202.jpg
    20230405_175202.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230405_141040.jpg
    20230405_141040.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 7
I hate shingle roofing, a 70 year old man with a bad back and a bad knee up the ladder carrying how much, what's not to like. No big deal when I was a younger man! At least tomorrow get to work on the coop, these girls are growing fast!
I totally agree about the 70 year old body! My mind thinks I can ..... but about half way in, body says NO MORE! Your coop is looking great. Good use of ventilation space. Don't be surprised when they all use one nest box only.

Decided the coop interior is good enough for now, my young chickens are too big and are a week past ready for their new home. So tomorrow just add some pine shavings, a new watering and feed system, a heat bulb, and move the girls in! I really should have completed the coop prior to getting chick's but plans change. Now to finish the run!
20230407_184016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom