Coop build and newbie

Got the roof on the coop today, in-between the hail!
20230324_184842.jpg

This is what my plan is. The green (ventilation) and the silver is 1/2 in hardware pvc cloth
The blue are opening outside doors, the red is nest box , the yellow is twin wall polycarbonate, the pink is the inner wall with 3x4 door, the orange is auto coop door. The black is plywood. The final will be to cover the outside with oak flooring that I have extra. Will finish the roof if it doesn't rain!

Attachments

• coop2 P1.png
    coop2 P1.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
I hate shingle roofing, a 70 year old man with a bad back and a bad knee up the ladder carrying how much, what's not to like. No big deal when I was a younger man! At least tomorrow get to work on the coop, these girls are growing fast!

It's beautifully done.

But after we discovered the ease of working with metal on purlins my DH has decided that he'll never shingle a roof again.

To 3killerBes, thanks for your article on ventilation it helped in my build. You coop build is amazing and looks more like a condo! Unfortunately your weather is opposite from mine. High winds and temperatures that rarely go above 70 or below freezing I wanted my coop to protect against the winds, 80 mph is not unusual. I did put ventilation on both sides at the top, about 1 1/2 sqft each. Also on the front of the coop under the rafters. Closed it off with black 1/2 Sq. Now to build nest boxes.
20230401_185957.jpg

To 3killerBes, thanks for your article on ventilation it helped in my build. You coop build is amazing and looks more like a condo! Unfortunately your weather is opposite from mine. High winds and temperatures that rarely go above 70 or below freezing I wanted my coop to protect against the winds, 80 mph is not unusual. I did put ventilation on both sides at the top, about 1 1/2 sqft each. Also on the front of the coop under the rafters. Closed it off with black 1/2 Sq. Now to build nest boxes.View attachment 3452782

I'm so glad that my article was helpful.

It's always critical to build for your OWN conditions, not anyone else's conditions. :)

That's why I tried to show the air circulation for a number of different styles and type of coop -- we all have our own climate challenges to deal with.

I hate shingle roofing, a 70 year old man with a bad back and a bad knee up the ladder carrying how much, what's not to like. No big deal when I was a younger man! At least tomorrow get to work on the coop, these girls are growing fast!
I totally agree about the 70 year old body! My mind thinks I can ..... but about half way in, body says NO MORE! Your coop is looking great. Good use of ventilation space. Don't be surprised when they all use one nest box only.

Decided the coop interior is good enough for now, my young chickens are too big and are a week past ready for their new home. So tomorrow just add some pine shavings, a new watering and feed system, a heat bulb, and move the girls in! I really should have completed the coop prior to getting chick's but plans change. Now to finish the run!
20230407_184016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom