Coop build and questions

Returnofsid

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
Hi all. My daughter and I have been in the process of building a bigger coop for her small flock. The coop is a 4' front to back x8' wide box, with a slanted roof. The box height is 4' at the front, and slopes to 3' at the back. I'll attempt to add photos. For clarification. The nesting boxes will be completely inside. In other words, they don't "bump out" from the coop. The coop is on legs and is raised 2' off the ground.

I have questions about nesting boxes, roost size and placement, ventilation, heating, and I'm sure I'll have more questions as we progress.

My plan is to build 4 nesting boxes, 12"x14", we currently have 4 Buff Orphingtons, but will add more in the spring. Must the nesting boxes be positioned higher than floor level? I had planned on the nesting boxes being at floor level, but could raise them a few inches, if necessary.

I plan to build 2 roosting bars, each spanning the 4' depth, and at a height of 18" and 24". This will give them about 18" and 24" of space, under the roof, in the tall side, and about 12" and 16" on the short side. These are rough measurements. Are the levels acceptable? I had originally planned on using 1 1/2" wooden dowels, but have been reading that this may not be the best option. Would 2x4s placed horizontally be a better option? Do they need ladders?

Venting, lighting and heating. We live in Spokane, WA. Hot in the summer and Cold in the winter. During warm weather, the chickens have full run of our fence back yard.
20200929_121637.jpg
20200929_165925.jpg
20200929_165931.jpg
20200929_165942.jpg

For ventilation, there will be 2 windows, that can be open or closed. There will also be 2 or 3 round holes cut, at 2" diameter. These will have round vent covers over them. Will this 2" vents provide enough venting, without creating a bad draft?

Lighting. I plan to add a small night light, to extend morning daylight hours, during the winter. Acceptable?

Heating. I had originally planned on utilizing a infrared heat lamp at the high point, and nowhere near the roosts. I would hang it from the ceiling, and space it away from any wooden walls. But I'm reading that this may not be a good idea. What other options would you recommend, or is the infrared light a safe alternative?

In the photos, the ramp is temporary, and will have thin boards crossing it. The legs will be wrapped with wire, to allow a run underneath, as well as an extended run outside the ramp door. The ramp opening will have a door that can be closed, during cold times.

I'm still trying to figure out an option to attach wheels lol. My daughter will begin painting today, and says it's going to be very colorful.

Attachments

• 20200926_081115.jpg
    20200926_081115.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 11
You should have constant ventilation that is as high up near the roof as you can get it.
Nesting boxes can be at floor level,or off the floor. Make sure that the top of the boxes is lower than the roosts. 2x4s with the wide side up are good roosts. You most likely don't need to heat your coop at all, unless you have chicks there. Where are you located? Unless its' getting below zero for multiple days at a time, you don't need heating. The chicken in the picture is not a buff orpington. I'll tag some people who are good with this stuff: @aart @U_Stormcrow @3KillerBs @NatJ

I mentioned our location, but I buried it in the post, sorry. We are in Spokane, WA. Hot in the summer and definitely cold in the winter. We spend a lot of the winter at below freezing temperatures and usually have a few sub zero weeks.

My plan is to build 4 nesting boxes, 12"x14", we currently have 4 Buff Orphingtons, but will add more in the spring. Must the nesting boxes be positioned higher than floor level? I had planned on the nesting boxes being at floor level, but could raise them a few inches, if necessary.

Floor level nestboxes can be fine.

The usual reason for raising them is to allow the chickens to use floor space underneath the nestboxes as well--not really an option with the height of your coop.

Chickens need about 4 square feet of floor space each inside the coop, and space used for nestboxes, feeders, and waterers doesn't count for that. So remember to subtract the nestbox space when figuring how many birds can live in the coop.

Nestboxes on the floor could have a problem if the bedding really deep, but that will depend on how you prefer to manage the bedding. Some people pile bedding a foot and more deep (just keep adding more as the winter goes on), while other people keep it much shallower than that and clean it out more frequently. Floor-level nestboxes work fine with shallow bedding, slightly raised nestboxes are better if the bedding will be deep.

I plan to build 2 roosting bars, each spanning the 4' depth, and at a height of 18" and 24". This will give them about 18" and 24" of space, under the roof, in the tall side, and about 12" and 16" on the short side. These are rough measurements. Are the levels acceptable? I had originally planned on using 1 1/2" wooden dowels, but have been reading that this may not be the best option. Would 2x4s placed horizontally be a better option? Do they need ladders?

Ladder to get up to the roosts: no.
I would say either the dowels or 2x4s are fine. (Skinny dowels would not be, but the 1 1/2" dowels would be.)
I would put both roosts at the same height. Chickens always want to roost on the higher one, so it works better to have both roosts the same height. I think the lower height would be better, because of having more head space above it. (Although the higher ones would allow more space underneath for the chickens to use in the daytime.)

We live in Spokane, WA. Hot in the summer and Cold in the winter. During warm weather, the chickens have full run of our fence back yard.

For ventilation, there will be 2 windows, that can be open or closed. There will also be 2 or 3 round holes cut, at 2" diameter. These will have round vent covers over them. Will this 2" vents provide enough venting, without creating a bad draft?

Windows--good, but maybe leave them open in the winter as well. You don't want a wind blowing right on the roosting chickens at night, but LOTS of ventilation is a good thing.

The round holes will probably NOT provide enough venting.

Lighting. I plan to add a small night light, to extend morning daylight hours, during the winter. Acceptable?

Probably good. It needs to be enough light that the chickens wake up, eat and drink, and so forth. Some night lights are bright enough and others are not, so you'll have to check that. One guideline I've seen: does it give enough light for you to read a newspaper? If yes, it's bright enough.

Heating. I had originally planned on utilizing a infrared heat lamp at the high point, and nowhere near the roosts. I would hang it from the ceiling, and space it away from any wooden walls. But I'm reading that this may not be a good idea. What other options would you recommend, or is the infrared light a safe alternative?

I would not add ANY heat if the chickens are adults.
They have lots of feathers, and as long as they can roost in a place with still air, they tend to do fine.

Be sure they have liquid water (carry it out fresh each morning, and check a few more times; or heat the water), and be sure they have enough to eat. But I would not heat the coop itself at all.

Yes, water freezes. And eggs freeze. A frozen egg will split open, so gather the eggs frequently. But the chickens themselves are typically fine. Yes, even below freezing and even below zero farenheit.

A good treat to give them in cold weather: take a small amount of their usual food and add water to make a warm mush. They gobble it up, getting food and water at the same time. It makes them and you feel good! Any leftovers will freeze in the dish, so don't give them too much at a time. (It's actually fine at any time of the year--in summer, serve it cold, and the leftovers would rot instead of freezing so you still don't want to give extra.)

If you add heat, they will not grow such a thick coat of feathers.

And if you add heat but then the power goes out, they will be much colder than if they grew nice thick feathers and were used to it.

That's in addition to the risk of fire.

Overall, I think you've got it planned pretty well.

And I agree with black_cat, the chicken in the last photo is neither Buff nor an Orpington. Did she come visiting from somewhere to inspect the project?

I have no idea why I said Buff Orphingtons! They're Brahma lol.

Thank you all, for such great information! You're definitely reinforcing thoughts i have already had, and giving my quick and valuable information!

Brahmas are bigger birds so giving them a little more than the usual 4 sq ft per bird would be better. I don't know how many birds you're hoping to have total.

Nests at/close to floor level is fine, mine are maybe 2-3" above floor (on scrap wood legs) and they're easy for the chickens to get in and out of. You do have a lot of nests relative to the coop size so I'd go with maybe 3 nests instead, to save you a little extra floor space.

If you keep roosts relatively low, like 18", there should be no need for a ladder or ramp, even with bigger birds.

As far as ventilation, calculate 1 sq ft per bird minimum, so I don't know if what you have planned is enough or not (as "2 windows" is not a measurement). You can of course go over minimum to open up more ventilation during hot summers. You want most of the ventilation up high so if you extend the roof overhang or go for something like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-coop-is-done-now-for-the-run.1381538/ you can fit quite a lot just under the roof area.

NO HEAT is necessary. Keeping the chickens dry via ventilation is all the help they need to keep warm during winter.

Venting is now 8"x14", with one in the center, above the door, and one in the top center of the back wall. There's also two windows, each 9"x9". The windows will have hardware cloth, but we'll also have the ability to close the windows. They're located on either side of the door, and near the top. The pictures will show their location, along with the front vent. There's also about a half inch gap along the entire perimeter, at the top of the walls. The interior floor is being primered, as I post this. This will allow for easier cleaning. The exterior will be primered, and then painted. Then trim will be painted and attached. I still need to purchase chicken wire (I'll probably go with hardware cloth), and composite roofing material.

Nesting boxes...

The reason for four nesting boxes is because we will probably add more chickens in the spring. Also, at that time, I'll relocate the nesting boxes, and they'll be "exterior," hanging out the back wall. At that time, the nesting boxes will have their own access, through a hinged roof. At most, we'll have 8 chickens. Throughout spring, summer and fall, they're rarely in their coop, and are "free range," throughout our back yard.

Hmmm, for some reason, while it allowed me to attach photos earlier, it's not letting me right now.

Back
Top Bottom