Coop Build Deja Vu

Started putting on the hardware cloth today , got both sides and the front of run done . Also built the entry door for the run , will try to get it mounted tomorrow .

cmb coop 49.jpg

cmb coop 51.jpg

cmb coop 50.jpg

cmb coop 52.jpg

Door for the run is mounted , used spring hinges so it closes by itself. Also got the hardware cloth on it . Here's my helper checking it out .

cmb coop 53.jpg

I had enough ambition left to get the hardware cloth on the back window too :lol:

cmb coop 54.jpg

I made my run door out of 2x4’s, and it’s SO heavy that I just don’t trust it on 2 hinges, so I have it 4 as well. This one looks like it’s made with 2x6’s, so probably even heavier. My coop door is a real house door and still not as heavy as that run door :lol: (and it’s on 2 hinges).

Curious...why 4 hinges?

A few reasons ,
Hinges are stamped , not quite as heavy as I'd like .
Door is heavy , closes better with 4 spring hinges rather than 3 which was my original plan .
Hinges came 2 to a pack so original plan to use 3 I had to buy 4 , so rather than have one hinge left over that would never be used or found again it got put to use .

I made my run door out of 2x4’s, and it’s SO heavy that I just don’t trust it on 2 hinges, so I have it 4 as well. This one looks like it’s made with 2x6’s, so probably even heavier. My coop door is a real house door and still not as heavy as that run door :lol: (and it’s on 2 hinges).

Yes , the door is surprisingly heavy but the 2 x 4's were on the heavy side , and the 1x2 strips over the hardware cloth edges and hardware cloth added even more weight . Like you , using 4 hinges here was a comfort zone choice .

A few reasons ,
Hinges are stamped , not quite as heavy as I'd like .
Door is heavy , closes better with 4 spring hinges rather than 3 which was my original plan .
Hinges came 2 to a pack so original plan to use 3 I had to buy 4 , so rather than have one hinge left over that would never be used or found again it got put to use .
:gig I have several single hinges in my stash.

Perfect reasoning.

Got the metal on the egg box , had to seam it between ribs to make it look right . I'll have to rip down a 1 x 3 on the table saw to trim it , it'll be easier to get the angle cut on the table saw than with the skill saw .

cmb coop 55.jpg

Also finished frame under coop for hardware cloth , the son in law will trench 12" all around coop and run so we can get hardware cloth buried .

cmb coop 56.jpg

Didn't get a lot done today , got rained out . I did get hardware cloth buried on run entry end .

cmb coop 57.jpg

Also got gable vent cut and hardware cloth tacked on on the run side gable of coop . I'll get that trimmed out next session .

cmb coop 58.jpg

More hardware cloth buried , got one side done . Knees are done for the day .

cmb coop 59.jpg

cmb coop 60.jpg

I also finished up the trim on the gable vent into the run and the roof on the nest box .

cmb coop 61.jpg

cmb coop 62.jpg

Back
Top Bottom