Coop Builders - What would you have changed or done differently?

yes Chicken wire over the no climb welded wire. Hardware cloth is ok but welded wire is far superior

How large are the holes in your welded wire? We have problems with weasels, which can get through a 1" square hole. You'd never believe it to look at them, but it's nasty when they then try to pull the chicken back out through that same 1" hole. That's why we use the hardware cloth with the 1/2" holes.

Wishing I had built steps to get in and out of the coop, which is an easy fix, but right now having to use a 6 foot step ladder to get in and out. (Not that high, but only weatherproof step stool I have.) No fun when trying to carry a full waterer in.

How large are the holes in your welded wire? We have problems with weasels, which can get through a 1" square hole. You'd never believe it to look at them, but it's nasty when they then try to pull the chicken back out through that same 1" hole. That's why we use the hardware cloth with the 1/2" holes.
I use 2 x 4 no climb with 1/2 poultry wire over it pretty firmly attached. seems to work good. have not had any issues yet anyways

Biggest mistake was building the laying boxes in an area where they walk below their night roost to get into the nests. I have to clean a dropping board every morning or I'll get dirty eggs.

I am getting ready to start my "real" coop this weekend. I "up-cycled" the coop I have now from an old drawing desk, but it isn't as functional as I had hoped.

This is what I learned:

1. If you are up-cycling, plan that everything may require custom cutting and fitting. (I had not thought of this, and there came a point that I wished I had started from scratch.)
2. Human access into the run is very important. The run here is 4' tall. Although I am 6'2", it is just tall enough that I cannot reach in to lay a bowl, catch a chicken, pick up a wayward egg, etc.
3. Light in the coop is really important. My girls would not go inside until I put some light portals in the end. (I cut circular holes and fit the glass tops off of candles to give some light inside.)

4. I would have built the "real" coop from the beginning, knowing what I know now. All of the original time and expense for this one would have been put into a permanent structure.
5. Make sure your wire is securely stapled to the wood frame.
(I had a dog push in a weak spot and get in under the coop. The girls were safe, but it could have been catastrophic if my neighbor had not been home.)
6. Plan plan plan plan plan plan. If you think something would be "nice" to have, then it probably will be. In my new coop I am insulating it and covering the run because of the weather here.
7. Because this coop is small, I built a better feeder and really like it much better for the space.

8. I recently moved over the a nipple watering system, too. It is so much better! I can fill it easily, and from reading some posts here I am working on how I will modify it for their new digs.

I have learned so much from everyone's posts and examples! Can't say thank you enough!

Well we're doubling the size of our coop now as chicken math has us firmly in it's grasp. We're in the process of finishing the floor up and have insulated it for both winter warmth and cool summers. We're going to double our nest boxes and roosts and just open the wall between the original coop and the new area. We already have an area divided off with chicken wire walls and a wired door for segregating new chicks or sick girls. We have a window in that wall that opens too and it adds light and ventilation. The whole coop will have a red tin roof too. I'm sure enjoying everyone's great ideas as this is a work in progress now. Here in Saskatchewan we too have some nasty winter weather and some hot summers too. Hopefully I'll have pictures as we continue.

Also don't forget to make things TALL enough for the taller caretakers to reach everything. Our run is too short height-wise for the 6' 5" hubby to reach the feeder. (so he says). The trade off is I'm too short to reach the feeder inside the coop, so it's a trade off. Next time, I'm building a coop that he can walk in. Also, making one whole side of the coop a door, instead of a 2 ft wide opening. This would make cleaning a ton easier. Thankfully, I do deep litter, so only and issue every several months.
Putting something in front of the door is easy. Just use a 6-10 inch piece of plywood or lumber across the door opening to keep the litter in. I had to do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom