Coop building advice

That's what I thought and we've already got the beginning of a rat problem in the chickens current coop.
Youtube has got a couple videos on how to make a Weasel box (they look similar to a wooden bird houses)You can also find premade weasel boxes online or buy them on Amazon.I found this kit that includes 2 on ebay(you have to assemble these).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 20-21-20 QTY 2 WEASEL BOX KITS INCLUDING RAT TRAPS WEASEL TRAPPING TR...png
    Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 20-21-20 QTY 2 WEASEL BOX KITS INCLUDING RAT TRAPS WEASEL TRAPPING TR...png
    173.6 KB · Views: 4
You actually have to add a board across the top and bottom of the pallet before you cover the gap otherwise it still leaves a gap lol
Yeah. I'm not sure what exactly my mom's idea of the coop is. From what she said so far, it sounds pretty dumb but I think she just hadn't thought it through yet. We've only talked about it once so far and I'm pretty sure she was coming up with it as we spoke.
Youtube has got a couple videos on how to make a Weasel box (they look similar to a wooden bird houses)You can also find premade weasel boxes online or buy them on Amazon.I found this kit that includes 2 on ebay(you have to assemble these).
We're just going to poison the rats because last time we had an infestation that was the only thing that worked.

Yeah. I'm not sure what exactly my mom's idea of the coop is. From what she said so far, it sounds pretty dumb but I think she just hadn't thought it through yet. We've only talked about it once so far and I'm pretty sure she was coming up with it as we spoke.

We're just going to poison the rats because last time we had an infestation that was the only thing that worked.
I'm making a raised coop out of a truck topper and some pallets.

I spoke to my mom about the coop today. I showed her the picture of the greenhouse and she said that's what she wants. I told her we would have to actually cover the holes in the pallets with boards if we want something like that and she said "Or we could just get one large board or piece of metal that we can remove in the summer to let more air in" She straight up said that she hates building and wants to do whatever requires the least amount of building. I responded by saying that's mildly annoying and if she hates everything to do with building, why does she plan to have a part of the coop that gets removed during the summer. The conversation became an argument and my mom told me to shut up and let her watch a movie.

This is an easy to build hoop chicken tractor and wood coop (I found online its not mine) The coop is basically a box with a sloped roof. The run can be attached to the coop at night. If you have a concrete pad or patio you can "park" your hoop house there at night so predators can't dig under it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 09-30-29 (326) Pinterest.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 09-30-29 (326) Pinterest.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 09-27-39 (326) Pinterest.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 09-27-39 (326) Pinterest.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 09-24-29 Individual breeding cages .png
    Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 09-24-29 Individual breeding cages .png
    408.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
This is an easy to build hoop chicken tractor and wood coop. The coop is basically a box with a sloped roof. The run can be attached to the coop at night. If you have a concrete pad or patio you can "park" your hoop house there at night so predators can't dig under it.
I found this online and hope to make one in the future.I love the ingenious design and prefer a hoop house that connects to a coop at night.They offer more protection than a hoop house.High winds can pick a lightweight hoop house up if they have a tarp over them.

The neighbor down the street has several cattle panel hoop houses with a simple door frame that just have a tarp over them. They let the hens range during the day inside an electric mesh fence. It has nest boxes and food and water inside the hoop. I will get a picture tomorrow. They look pretty uncomplicated.

Back
Top Bottom