Coop Built From Exterior Doors?

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
We need to build a coop or house for our expanding herd of geese. i'm not super good with building, but am a little handy. Searched craigslist for sheds or old playhouses, but everything i found was super expensive. For geese, i would just need four walls, a floor, a roof, and door.

Anyhow, went to the local Home and Garden Show yesterday and one vendor had used shabby chic old wooden doors to fashion an arch to her booth, and then used more old doors to display items. So i thought, how about putting together used exterior doors to make a coop house? i could put three or four together for each side, build a floor, and make a roof with those steel roofing panels. If i could find some old utility doors, you know those kind with a small window built in, that would solve the ventilation issue.

Can anyone see a problem with this that i can't? And then, any suggestions on where to find old doors? i did look on craigslist and have not found anything yet. But what do contractors do with old doors when they install new ones on someone's house?

Old doors are fun! And you can find them free on craigslist some times.

I have one as a headboard for my bed and the room we are working on will have a shortened one was well.

I should add, you will need to protect them with a roof and make sure you know the difference between a hollow core interior door and a solid exterior one.

I should add, you will need to protect them with a roof and make sure you know the difference between a hollow core interior door and a solid exterior one.

Yes, my husband mentioned that. i should be able to tell if they are solid wood. i just love the shabby chic-looking doors. My sister mentioned that if i got those, with chippy paint, i would want to seal it somehow so the geese didn't nibble off lead-based paint. i thought for the roof i would cover the entire top with hardware cloth, then elevate one side with a board, then install galvanized roof panels, those rumpley ones.

Back
Top Bottom