Coop Cat

ruth

Life is a Journey
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Woodville, MS
I don't know why my cat Morris is so infactuated with the chickens but he is. Sleeps with them, always hangs out in their coop and run and LOVES to get in coop and lay by one while it lays its egg. The chicks are just used to it. Sometimes Morris gets in the nest box right next to them.

coop-cat.jpg

Great pic!

I have a mama kitty who gave birth in a nest box. She only had two babies and one didn't make it.
hit.gif
Now her and her survivng baby live ( sleep and eat ) in the coop with the chickens. The baby is only about 10 weeks old so does not venture too far from the coop but as long as she is amongst the chickens when they are free ranging she feels right at home!! I love it when different species co-exist like that.
love.gif

Quote:
I do too. People ask how I can free-range my chicks with all of the woods and predators; and their run has no top; and the run and coop are left open day/night and I have not had a single loss. My answer is the trick to predator management is to surround your chicks with other predators. Then any potential predators would have to run the gauntlet to get to chicks.
smile.png
Presently there are 4 cats and two dogs who are always with my chicks. They all get along and seem to truly love another.

My cats love watching the chickens. Ruth thanks for helping me a while ago to know that as the chicks got to full size I could relax a bit and introduce the cats to them. Now I don't worry if my fencing fails to keep the cats in and they go a-wandering among the hens!

A once homeless kitty named Floppy (one ear was flopped over so the neighbors named him Floppy) came under my care a few years back and fell head over heels in love with BJ roo and hen Betty. He was at his happiest when lying belly up at their feet, purring. Sometimes Betty - feisty little thing - would take his tail in her beak and he would let her - standing very still until she tired of the game. He was so very gentle with those birds. Sat outside their little house at night until I came to let them out in the morning. It was like he was a guard cat. Sadly both Floppy and Betty are gone as of last fall after medical intervention could no longer help with their respective medical problems but I will always remember how beautiful they all were together.
JJ

That's so cool. Love to see pics of different animals. I once had a dog that had puppies and the next day the cat had kittens. Mama cat insisted on putting the kittens with the puppies. No matter how many times we separated them, she'd put them back with the puppies. We finally gave up and let them be together. What a hoot to see her nursing the puppies and the dog nursing the kittens! Poor cat had the most tired tounge... she'd washed them all. When we sold the puppies, we gave them a kittie for free. Worked out great cuz the puppies and kitties were quite happy together and didn't cry at night like most puppies do. Animals can teach us humans alot.
hu.gif

It is amazing what you can learn just by watching and living with our fellow creatures. It's a regular zoo/farm around here and I truly believe God and the presence of so many "predators" is why no other predators bother our chicks. We have a panther that lives in the woods, and foxes, an eagle landed in our backyard the other day and hawks fly over daily but so far so good. I know many believe that dogs and cats can't be trusted around chicks or that chicks are better off locked up. But if you could see how happy these chicks are to be let out of their run each morning and how much time they spend running and flying around the property - you might change your mind as to which way of life is better. I honestly believe that if something got one of them tomorrow I would miss it and feel bad but I will buy more in the spring and I will know that it led a truly happy and free life however short, or long, that may be.

Here's more of our "pack" on duty:

Lucy - a stray with a sad story like everyone else here.

lucy.jpg

Of course most of you know Rex by now:

rexchick1-1.jpg

rexruthbabies-1.jpg

And the laziest cat on planet earth - Morris:

morrissleeps-1.jpg

So for those who are afraid one of your pets will kill the others, I say relax and give it a chance, it just might surprise you.

Nothing to do with chickens, however a couple of years ago a weanling pig swam across the river and ended up in our cattle pasture! I swear that little fella thought he was a cow. He grazed with them all summer. He got a little tamer as summer progressed, but would not let us catch him in the fall when we brought the cows home. Fearing he would starve/freeze to death when the snow came, my husband got a fellow who hunts on our land to nab him. He ended up living in our barn all winter long. They sure get big, he followed us around like a dog after awhile. Had to be careful giving him scraps though, drop them and run;).

My cats, dog and chickens all get along together fine! I'm so glad.

But I must say Ruth, what are those shrubs outside of your coop? They are still green! Chickens don't eat that? I'm looking for shrubs to plant to replace the plants that TWO CHICKENS HAVE DEVOURED!

Back
Top Bottom