Coop Cleaning...Brilliant!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iwiw60, Feb 11, 2014.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

So why is this wire mesh attached to my pitchfork? Because I've turned our chicken coop into one big litter box. After doing this for the last year or so, I can easily say that this method is a winner. I added a 2-inch layer of coarse sand to the bottom of the coop and use my "pooper scooper" to pick up the poop. And the coop doesn't smell! That's half the battle in keeping critters away. Once a year, clean out all the sand and start over and you're good to go.
    (Note: Text taken from the original poster of this article.)

2. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Love it! gotta try that![​IMG]

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Sand is not good for the chickens. Its not recommended.

4. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    River sand is recommended I believe.[​IMG] Not play sand or very fine beach sand as the fine sand is what the problem is. But the course sand has been recommended by many an expert chicken keeper. The fine sand contains silica dust which is not good, but the river sand is good and has larger coarse particles and the chickens use part of that as their grit as well.

rbnk1 likes this.
  5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    There is not any type sand thats is recommended at all for coops.

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Exactly right...fine sand, no....but the kind of "sand" we have here in the high desert of Central Oregon....OH YEAH, BABY!! What we have here is what we lovingly refer to as "kitty litter" .. not good for growing much of anything, but I do think it would be great for chickens.

7. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    I'm sorry pwand, I'm not sure who you are referencing but here are two experts that are for sand in the coop or run:

http://www.ethicurean.com/2010/06/30/gail-damerow/
    "The bottom 4x4 section might be considered a run. It could be bedded with wood chips, shredded paper, dried leaves and grass clippings, etc., but I prefer sand the chickens can dust in (they will dust in the bedding, but it's not as good for getting rid of parasites). Chickens do need a place for dusting, so don't forget that part in your plan."

and also "The Chicken Chick"

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

I have enlarged my run this last fall and will be adding a section of river sand to it as well.

I guess everyone weigh the pros and cons and has to decide that for themselves.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by