Coop cleaning

Eggstra New

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Springport, Michigan
How often are you supposed to clean out the coop? I've been stripping my every couple weeks, but now I'm hearing folks only totally clean them out a couple times a year. What do you all do?

it depends on if you use a deep litter method... i only clean my coop if 19 chickens 3X a year but i use the DLM and lots of DE

Remember........by draping a tarp on the edge of the threshold of the door, you can easily shovel all the shavings out on to the tarp and pull it like you would a sleigh over the snow to your disposal area. Very easy on the back and the ONLY reason I like winter.

Just joined and thought I would answer...

I clean mine once a year.

I use a deep litter. By one year it is down to sawdust consistency.

Water is outside on a drip system so the bedding stays dry.

The key for me is I have my roost above an enclosed comparment with a screen over it. the chickens can not get in and move it around and scatch it all over the place. I clean it out and put new bedding down in the spring after the rainy season (WA state). To remove the poop, I just unscrew a panel off the back of the coop and scoop out.

I usually keep 10-30 birds in a 16x16 coop. There is a run attached and we free range every few days.

I spot-clean daily.
Never need a big clean-out (hurrah)

Details below.

tongue.png
cool.png

Quote:
Me too. I just use old spagethi tongs to get the poo into a bucket which I tote to the compost bin every few days.
Shavings last a long time that way and nothing ever gets disgusting.

BUT, I only have four chickens. I can't imagine scooping the nightly poo of 20 chickens...

I only have three chickens so easy to clean out the poo daily from the coop countertops (use latex gloves and toss the poo in a compost pile). The countertops have layers of newspapers and paper towels covered with pine shavings and I replace everything as needed on a daily basis - if soiled or wet, it goes. I also wipe down the roost boards daily. We rake out the coop floor and replace it with fresh shavings every 2-3 weeks. If I had a lot more chickens this approach would not be practical, but with just a few I can have high standards. I never want to walk in the coop and have it smell bad, so I'm motivated to keep it clean. Anywhere between 10-30 minutes a day, depending on the day. During that time, the girls get to free-range and I can keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom