Coop Construction

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
When building a coop, what are some things you find useful? Right now the frame, floor, roof, and sides are up. It still needs finishing touches and the run area built. What are some things you would find useful or add to a duck coop?

A lino floor to put the bedding on...Works great.
Clips to hold water bucket in place during the winter so it wont spill during those cold Alberta winter days we get and they cant go outside.
A kiddie pool for summer in the run.
Pea gravel and gravel in the run for easy hose cleaning.

Easy cleaning. I hose daily so our coop opens on both ends for easy cleaning. I don't use bedding. They have pine straw I'm the nest box, but they have been tossing that out lately.

A lino floor to put the bedding on...Works great.
Clips to hold water bucket in place during the winter so it wont spill during those cold Alberta winter days we get and they cant go outside.
A kiddie pool for summer in the run.
Pea gravel and gravel in the run for easy hose cleaning.

Eh! I'm an Albertan too!

Easy cleaning. I hose daily so our coop opens on both ends for easy cleaning. I don't use bedding. They have pine straw I'm the nest box, but they have been tossing that out lately.

That's out of question for me. They need bedding as we're from Alberta, the land of snow, wind, and irregular weather.

When building a coop, what are some things you find useful? Right now the frame, floor, roof, and sides are up. It still needs finishing touches and the run area built. What are some things you would find useful or add to a duck coop?
Good ventilation is a must. Since they create so much moisture old windows from resale stores work or just cutting holes and putting hardware cloth over then in winter you can cover over but they always need ventilation even in dead of winter. especially around top under roof line.

Good ventilation is a must. Since they create so much moisture old windows from resale stores work or just cutting holes and putting hardware cloth over then in winter you can cover over but they always need ventilation even in dead of winter. especially around top under roof line.

Yes, ventilation was one of my primary concerns. I wanted it very light (as in lights, not weight), ventilated, and protected. However I still feel like something is missing.

Yes, ventilation was one of my primary concerns. I wanted it very light (as in lights, not weight), ventilated, and protected. However I still feel like something is missing.
Are you going to put vinyl on the floor we did in all my houses and gosh is it easy to clean. I have electricity in 2 of my houses but I don't keep ffod and water inside since it will be an awful mess in winter. I use heated dog bowls and buckets.

They will appreciate a few windows for cool air to circulate through in hot summers. One of my building we also made a room for feed separate from the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom