coop conversion help please

Well, I guess the first thing you need to think about is... do want to divide the coop inside? You could divide it into two separate chicken areas so that you have a way to separate your chickens in the future if you ever need to. Or, you could divide it with a people/storage side that the chickens cannot get into plus the chicken side for them.

I, personally, divided mine with a people door that enters the building and then a 'gate' into the chicken area. That way I can collect eggs without having to walk in the poop. If it's raining or snowing we (my children help) don't have to stand outside in yucky weather to get our eggs. And, if someone accidentally leaves open the back side of the nest boxes the worse that can happen is my chickens can go through and end up on the people side... still safe from predators. Also, I have a place for my bedding and feed right inside the coop.

This picture was taken during the construction process but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. You walk into the door and see the nest boxes up on the right. Just before them is a gate/door that I can use to get into the chicken side (it's not installed in this picture).

IMG_0819.jpg

Many people like to have their nest boxes so they can access them from the outside of the coop. It's all just personal preference.

You want to make sure that your waterer and feeder are away from the roosts so that they don't get poop dropped into them.

I would suggest putting the pophole in the south or east side of the building so that the run gets early morning sun and not hot afternoon sun. Maybe that won't work in your situation or something would be better. You will have to think about that depending on where you live and your situation.

I would suggest you make four nest boxes as you are very likely going to get hooked on chickens (don't know why but that seems to happen to a lot of folk here!
big_smile.png
), and that way you'll already be prepared for more.

A agree with Chirpy!! Plan for expansion. Chickens are like the contents of women's purses...they expand (or in this case, increase in numbers) to fill ALL available space.

That building looks great!! It looks like it could use a bit of siding repair and some paint. How about the flooring. I am assuming that it is probably vinyl. Definitely cover that sheetrock with something as they will peck it to death. Maybe some scrap lumber or you could even cut up an old tarp and line the lower 2-3 feet.

The coop page we were referring to is here https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

I'm
glad to see you already have the varmit trap.
smile.png

Keep us posted on the progress.

Oh, that will make a lovely coop! The main thing it needs is more windows more windows more BIG windows. Realio trulio, as many and as large windows as you can manage. Make sure that they are openable but that the opening is very very securely covered by 1/2" hardwarecloth to keep predators etc out.

[*Especially* if you take the "get more chickens til you reach 1 per 4 sq ft" type advice
wink.png
(P.s. they do like having more space and it does make your life easier, chickenmanagementwise)]

Have fun,

Pat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom