Coop Design

Hoot

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Canaveral Groves, FL.
I am considering constructing the floor out of construction cloth. Or at least that's what I have heard it called. It's the small 1/2" square mash wire.

They can walk on it, poop through it and in the Florida heat, it should keep the inside cool.

I'll design it so if we ever do get any cold weather, I can cover it to help keep them warm. This way I will be able to just rake the poo from under the coop and toss it in the compost pile.

The nest boxes I'll build on the sides of the coop with an exterior access door for egg removal and cleaning access.

I plan to have a ridge vent and a small cupola mounted on the roof for ventilation. With 2x2 roost boards extended across the coop.

Trying to incorporate rotating the run and garden area in with the coop.

There is a lot to this.

mine has hardware cloth on the top floor (it is a two level coop for 3 chickens...lol.) and the poo sticks to the floor when it is cold and does not fall through.

Quote:
Yeah well, you can pressure-wash poo through it, but it isn't going to *fall* through on its own. Chickens have fairly large-caliber poo
wink.png

I plan to have a ridge vent and a small cupola mounted on the roof for ventilation.

In florida you'll want 2+ sides of the building to be basically just mesh (albeit possibly with plywood panels you can hook or bolt on for those rainy/windy/hurricaney days). If you do that, then a ridge vent and cupola are fairly irrelevant (not to say you can't add 'em but they will not be doing a whole big lot with the coop wholly open-air on 2+ sides, you know?)

And make sure there is plenty of shade available in the run.

Have fun
smile.png

Pat​

Back
Top Bottom