Coop FAIL!!

Pics

Pippin quail

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Central Alberta, Edmonton area
I went out to my coop this morning after a big snow fall. Of course the first snow of the year had to be about 6+ inches blowing in every direction. Upon entering my coop I realized we had a big failure with our ventilation - it's too big and open. It definitely needs a large awning on the outside... I'm hoping that fixes the problem. Any other suggestions welcome!

P.S. the chickens were all fine and huddled in the few dry areas, including the nesting boxes. The snow that got trapped in the netting above actually seems to have helped insulate and prevent more snow blowing in. So I just added a bunch more leaves and straw over the fallen snow inside and they were all happy to scratch around in there again.

IMG_20211116_082217.jpg

Yesterday this was all brown grass, Most of this fell overnight! I always wonder why I live in this country as soon as winter hits. IMG_20211116_082024.jpg

This is what the ventilation looks like on the outside... Clearly needs a bigger overhang to prevent snow blowing in. IMG_20210724_205349.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_082221.jpg
    IMG_20211116_082221.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211116_082225.jpg
    IMG_20211116_082225.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 10
is your roof top open/vented? I would say another 6 inches of overhang if it is on a side where the show will regularly blow in. I have a friend that also created an "under-hang" think opposite of the overhang that meets up with the over hang that she can put up or down depending on the weather but it leaves the sides completely open to keep the ventilation flowing.

Glad to hear that the chickens were all good. I bet it was a surprise for sure :)

is your roof top open/vented? I would say another 6 inches of overhang if it is on a side where the show will regularly blow in. I have a friend that also created an "under-hang" think opposite of the overhang that meets up with the over hang that she can put up or down depending on the weather but it leaves the sides completely open to keep the ventilation flowing.

Glad to hear that the chickens were all good. I bet it was a surprise for sure :)
There is a small gap where the wall and roof meet (if that's what you're asking about) but the main ventilation is the 12 inch high by about 10 or 12 foot long vents on both sides of the coop. I assume that's where most of the snow blew in! Haha. I'll see what my husband thinks about building an overhang and an underhang after work today..😂😂

I went out to my coop this morning after a big snow fall. Of course the first snow of the year had to be about 6+ inches blowing in every direction. Upon entering my coop I realized we had a big failure with our ventilation - it's too big and open. It definitely needs a large awning on the outside... I'm hoping that fixes the problem. Any other suggestions welcome!

P.S. the chickens were all fine and huddled in the few dry areas, including the nesting boxes. The snow that got trapped in the netting above actually seems to have helped insulate and prevent more snow blowing in. So I just added a bunch more leaves and straw over the fallen snow inside and they were all happy to scratch around in there again.

View attachment 2900048

Yesterday this was all brown grass, Most of this fell overnight! I always wonder why I live in this country as soon as winter hits.View attachment 2900052

This is what the ventilation looks like on the outside... Clearly needs a bigger overhang to prevent snow blowing in.View attachment 2900056
Build a simple awning over the vent.

Short term fix is to attach a fine mesh screen over the existing wire. Think regular window screens. The small openings are too small for a snowflake so they will just build up on the outside.
That's an idea too. Though I don't have any of that and don't think I can get to town with the roads covered in snow drifts right now. I was wondering if feed bags would let enough air through though to do a similar temporary fix... 🤔

That's an idea too. Though I don't have any of that and don't think I can get to town with the roads covered in snow drifts right now. I was wondering if feed bags would let enough air through though to do a similar temporary fix... 🤔
not sure feed bags would provide enough air flow but something like cheese cloth would work until you can get something else made

Back
Top Bottom