Coop fans

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
Question for the Great minds of BYC does anyone have pictures of fan they are using in their coop(s)? I want to try and beat the south Texas heat with air movement...I would like to see what others use before I reinvent the wheel(fan(s)) I have access to 120 volt as well as 12 volts. I am thinking about using 12 volt car radiator fans with a 120v to 12v inverter or something similar...all hale the great and awesome minds of the BYC.

Last summer I went to TSC and bought this huge barn fan, heavy and solid. Installed it in the 105 degree heat, all by myself. After a day or two of running it was HOT, like I could not believe it didn't catch on fire kind of hot! Took it down, returned it and got a little fan like this one, from the grocery store, and screwed it to a small little perch in the corner of the coop. It's worked out great!
1589917456666.png

I have a box fan mounted in an east window(where it's shaded most the day) to blow cooler air into the coop late in the day. Didn't want to try to exhaust air to reduce dust on motor.
Barn dust and fan motors getting hot can create a fire hazard.
True barn fans are protected from this risk with sealed motors(I think).

It helps, a little.
Blows right towards the roosts 16' away,
which might also deter night bugs bothering the birds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/window-fan-mount.75608/

1589923601720.png

Is that a box fan like you can purchase from Walmart,ace, home depot or designed to do the job we(chicken people) need it for.
Household box fan, not designed for chickens or barns...
...why I'm not using it as an exhaust fan.
It's actually an ancient fan(20+ years old), it's 6" deep and moves more air than the puny 3.5" ones that are so common nowadays.<grumbles>

This is what I have decided to do for my coop. My coop runs north and south shaded most of the day with full sun for 2 hours before sundown. What I have pictured is 2- 8 inch fans(black circular) connected to a 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC LED I lighting power supply which in turn is plugged into a temperature sensor that is adjustable to meet our needs and that is plugged into a 120 volt AC outlet. I plan on installing it on Saturday the 30th. It has been warm here with heat index of 109 today..cooler tomorrow and Saturday is predicted lol

Attachments

• 20200528_183937.jpg
    20200528_183937.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200528_183932.jpg
    20200528_183932.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200528_183929.jpg
    20200528_183929.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200528_183924.jpg
    20200528_183924.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 3
Would be interesting to see temps inside and outside coop and how quickly the fans can balance the temps.

Electrolytes and big @SS. all day ice blocks will help your birds feel better.

Last edited:
My girl pant but have not seen then so warm that they hold their wings out. They have plenty of shade and normally a good strong breeze to go with it. I haven't worked up the courage to take an actual temperature reading, I'm afraid of what it will be. I'm in the process of looking for a remote read thermometer on Amazon lol

Last summer I went to TSC and bought this huge barn fan, heavy and solid. Installed it in the 105 degree heat, all by myself. After a day or two of running it was HOT, like I could not believe it didn't catch on fire kind of hot! Took it down, returned it and got a little fan like this one, from the grocery store, and screwed it to a small little perch in the corner of the coop. It's worked out great!
View attachment 2148752
I Need a small fan for my small coop. The 2 opposite wall screened "windows" are only about 7x8" !! I don't suppose I could find a fan that small :( . (This is not the coop usually used for roosting, but I've got a mama and 6 wk old kids using it right now.) I wonder if i could use something small like this just to circulate air, even if not by a window? About what size would you say this fan is?

Much to my dismay and glee at how well the fans(I thought) worked. Truth of the matter is that the sensor on the controller is 2.5-3.5 degrees on the low side of ambient temperature. I put in a trusted thermometer in the coop and it 2.5-3.5 higher than the controls and the warmer the outside temperature the farther off it is. I stopped watching at 95 degrees outside.

Back
Top Bottom