Coop Fire

Tina2021

Hatching
Jan 25, 2021
I awoke to a coop fire this morning. I have 19 chickens, 2 ducks and 2 geese that sleep together. The smoke inhalation did the most damage. I have an albuterol inhaler and did one dose on the 4 worst chickens. They are still coughing/raspy. Lucy Goosey won’t keep her eyes open. Could it have damaged them. She is the worst case and has one charred toe. I’ve set up fresh waters with electrolytes.
My other concern is the fire damage in the corner of their coop across from their perch and nest boxes. We cut the charred floor out and can cover the hole but it still smells smoky. Will that air quality damage their respiratory systems more? They are going to want to sleep there. Unfortunately, their coop is a converted garden shed and the floor joists and deck was treated lumber. I’m concerned with those chemicals released in the fire. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 594689A8-85C0-4DDB-B377-0CEAAD73A975.jpeg
    594689A8-85C0-4DDB-B377-0CEAAD73A975.jpeg
    541.2 KB · Views: 20
But why did they need a heat source in the first place?

They didn't, but that's neither here nor there at this point. My wife still frets over our 10 week old pullets in the juniors pen; they have a small coop but no heat. We get temps into the 20's in our part of Texas and she reallllly wants to put a heat lamp in there for them.

Until she saw them eating snow.

OP, we had a coop fire last year that took 10 young pullets. I'm glad that yours have survived so far. As for the treated lumber, the stuff they treat it with is carcinogenic and that's why they don't suggest people use it for campfires, etc. I'm not sure that the fumes pose any extra danger other than the possible cancer risk.

There's no way to reverse the damage. If you didn't modify the garden shed by making big windows in it, I would do that now. The best thing you can do for them is to give them as much fresh air as possible. That means big wide open windows.
What caused the fire, heat lamp or propane heater?
What part of the world are you located in?
Unless it is double digits below zero F where you live, you may be disheartened to learn that chickens, ducks and geese don't need heat.

Last edited:
@Tina2021 Sorry for your headache with the coop fire. I hope all girls get better!

FWIW, @Chicken , some people add a heat lamp bc they can help if temps get unusually extreme. We have a double secured heat lamp attached to a thermostat so it only turns on if temps get below 15F. So, it doesn’t turn on much as the coop stays a bit warmer than outside due to the birds. But, we have had years when temps get to -17 F for awhile. That’s COLD! So, the heat lamp can help the interior coop stay close to zero degrees, rather than -17F. It is still a potential hazard, like many things in the world. But, it also provides some benefit too. I’ll guess that those will sensitive breeds may also rely on heat lamps - like Silkie owners or modern game bantams.

It was a single heat lamp and Lucy the goose, pulled it down onto the straw. I do have windows and large doors allowing it to air out. Several of the chickens are still exhibiting respiratory distress. I have Lucy cleaned, confined and under a humidifier at my vets suggestion. Thanks for your advice.

It was a single heat lamp and Lucy the goose, pulled it down onto the straw. I do have windows and large doors allowing it to air out. Several of the chickens are still exhibiting respiratory distress. I have Lucy cleaned, confined and under a humidifier at my vets suggestion. Thanks for your advice.
Heat lamps should not be used in a coop. Birds should be able to keep warm on their own. If you teach them to rely on a heat lamp for warmth, they could freeze to death in the event that the power shut off. Heat lamps are extremely dangerous, as they are notorious for starting fires.

But why did they need a heat source in the first place?

Sorry you guy. After 9 weeks even in winter don't worry about chick warmth.
*unless it is -40 or so. The temp out doors is not the temp in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom