Coop flooring suggestions and ventilation question

Cluky

Songster
Apr 13, 2012
Chicago
I have a space under the porch of my house that would make a perfect coop. The floor is cement so will deffinitely need to raise it. What type of subfloor do you think is best? Ply wood? Backer board? Any suggestions are welcome...

ALSO when it comes to ventilation, for the coop of 6X6X6 how many ventilation hopes would be needed? I want tha coop to be well ventilated however don't want to make it drafty.

I dont like the deep litter method although I know many people here do. For my own sanity ( im a neat freak ) I use sand and scoop poop every other day. I love the sand because it scoops up just like cat litter and the chickens love bathing in it . It also looks nice. As far as ventilation if you are in an area like me where it can be both hot and cold I would opt for more ventilation which can easily be covered by tacking some flexible plastic sheets ( available in craft / fabric stores ) when its cold. I would cut several windows for ventilation , cover the space with chicken wire and then tack plastic over it in the cold winter months.

Back
Top Bottom