coop for three 9 pics total.

smilingcat

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2010
Pacific Northwest
heh! finally had some time to post some pic. Not completely decorated and still missing glass for the window. so its almost done.

frame for the coop
59213_framing.jpg

jump to window open (just the window frame is popped down. Couldn't see very well on the finished pic so before the paint.
59213_open_win.jpg

then we jump to the finished pic.
59213_fin_front.jpg

inside
59213_fin_inside.jpg

closed door
59213_fin_door_closed.jpg

chicken door
59213_fin_chick_door_open.jpg

all the plywood sheets were FREEBIE!!! down side was some were warmped a bit. can't be choosey!

and the tenants to the pink house, afterall, it is for the girls.

sweet pea 7wks Ameracuna purrty. friendliset of the bunch. not so smart though
59213_sweet_pea7wks.jpg

lucy also at 7wks dark brahma
59213_lucy7wks.jpg

and Molly the queen also at 7wks light brahama
59213_molly7wks.jpg

soo there you have it. Nothing fancy, simple. ventlation opening on the bottom and top. all the window and the ventlation are covered with 1/2" cloth... Will be installing solar powerered fan and solar based light for the winter. The ceiling the floor, the door and the back side has insulation board. most of the interior is covered in linolium tile for easy spray down cleaning. Haven't added the wall mounted feeder nor the water trough. That will be coming.

Oh yes there is a single roost bar inside the only 2x4 piece in the coop. Even though the nest box goes all the way across, there will only be 2 inside. Will be using small cat litterbox and will be lined with wood shaving.

Did I forget anything besides a ramp to the door? And the door is about 3" off the coop floor.

nice thing is that the whole thing was built in a way that we can quickly disassemble and reassemble when we move. WE ARE MOVING to colder place.

meow!!

My wife wants ours to be pink as well..... did you use a stain? or Paint?
My dad says a tinted stain would be better as the plywood REALLY sucks up the paint.

Mine is not complete but a bit larger.. just looking for the most economical way to get it painted/stained....

Thanks....

Quote:
Old dried plywood will soak up the paint so what I did was:

1. take about a quart of paint/primer and thinned it out. And painted all the surface quickly just to coat the whole surface. When this dries out, it creates a thin barrier which keeps the next layer of paint from being sucked up into the plywood needlessly. let it dry overnight. Even if it says you can paint in two hours or so.

2. then paint as you would normally. However thick or thin.

I used the "Home depot" brand exterior enamel with water base. It stinks of ammonia though. And it said primer and paint mixed into one. one gallon will cover between 200 to 400 sq feet. It's about right.

Decoration isn't finished yet...

Back
Top Bottom