Coop fright?

bbychickfrm

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
We moved our chicks outside successfully so far. But they won't go up into the nesting/roosting part of their coop. My brother told me they instinctivley seek a higher spot when it gets dark but they're not. We've been manually putting them inside. Will they learn after a few nights of this? They cuddle up together in a spot on the ground. The coop is fenced in with a ramp leading up to the house part. It just seems that the'd be warmer inside. Any suggestions?

Tuhmu

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2012
North Dakota
You should keep them locked in the coop for 4-5 days, so that they know that its their home.
smile.png

bbychickfrm

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
There's no way to shut them in the "house" part of the coop, it has a little square opening with a ramp down to the ground but then its fenced in. I'll see if I can upload a pic. Maybe that'll help.
That little section under the "house" part is where they like to huddle when it gets dark.

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
Get some cardboard and a roll of masking tape and temporarily close the hole. They'll sleep in the coop, realize it is safe and comfortable, and when you open the hole in a few days, they will likely return to sleep inside. Of course, this is presuming they have food/water/enough space in there.

bbychickfrm

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
ok Thanks. I could for now put the food and water in the nesting box since they won't be using that for any eggs for awhile ;) I don't think 4-5 days would be too long to get cramped since they're still small. Would they get adequate air flow though?

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
Not sure -- is there other ventilation? Maybe at the top of the walls? If not, you'd need to cover the hole with a scrap of small-holed fencing so the air can still exchange (and I'd consider adding vents!)

bbychickfrm

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Ok I think that's gonna work. I made a little screen window and taped it over the opening. There is plenty of room for them. Thank you all so much :D

Top Bottom