Coop getting wet in heavy rain-will they be okay?

slickchick

Songster
13 Years
Jul 2, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Hello! I'm having a problem with my coop getting wet inside with heavy rain. It is covered and made out of plywood, however, I do not have any shingles on it or protective paint. The wood shavings are getting wet and I'm worried that now it is colder out, it won't dry out. Should I be concerned and change the litter right away, or is this normal? Any suggestions for keeping my coop dry would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sounds like you need to tarp it until weather allows you to close up the roof.

Chickens can deal with wet, can deal with cold, but cannot deal with wet and cold. They need to be dry and in a draft-free environment.

If shingles or metal roofing are out of the question, I would suggest tarping the roof. That is what I did with a small A-frame coop that I have that is not completely water tight. I actually found part of a heavy duty hay tarp and cut it to fit. Works great and is heavy enough its helping to keep the coop warm. I admit, its uuuugly! Does the trick, though. I would suggest changing the litter out fairly quick. If it was me, I would be worried about mold.

Opps, I most have been typing when greginshasta posted. Well, great minds think alike, right?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I use the sheets of plastic roofing from home depot on the tops of my dog kennels they work great price is good too and they last a long time. I would put a tarp on if you don't have one on hand plastic garage bags taped together will work till you can get to the store.

plastic roof
roof_front.gif

You definately need to be concerned. don't you hate being cold and wet? Even shower curtain liners from the dollar store would be better than nothing.

we had the same problem.
We started out using material we already had and made the mistake of making a flat roof covered with OSB and tarp.
we stretched the tarp so tight that it would leak with the least little bit of rain.
We have since added trusses made from 2 x 2's and spaced them evenly and covered with a new tarp.
We've had much needed rain now for 2 days and all is looking well. No Leaks!!I can finally RELAX!!

Do you know where the rain is coming in? Through vents, windows, doors or cracks? Plywood needs a covering to hold up to the weather long term, but often rain coming into the coop, especially a newer coop, is blowing or leaking in through an opening. A tarp can cover some of those openings, too, until you figure out what the problem is and can fix it.

Poison Ivy, I just love that plastic roofing from Home Depot. That's what I had my husband get to cover some of the run on our chicken tractor this year. I'm glad to hear that it holds up over time, as I wondered about that.

BTW, if you are going to purchase a tarp, DO NOT waste money on those silly blue ones that appear to be woven strips of plastic. Get the one that is silver on one side, and typically brown on the other.

The blue ones are a joke and won't last a season and are not very weather-proof. The silver ones are much more suitable for keeping water out.

Quote:
I used the clear plastic roofing several years ago. As opposed to the style pictured above, I used the type with the flat ridges. They are stocked next to each other at HD and other stores. Mine was clear and I used it to cover a lean-to under which I store firewood, and wanted the clear material in order to allow better daylight.

After at least 5-6 years in use, I hit the top with a pressure washer to clean it and it looked brand new.

This summer I used several 12' sheets of the same material to create walls around a 20x20 carport. Nice daylight illumination, but prevents intrusion of rain and snow on the protected sides.

I have the green colored ones on my kennels. They are great and I've thought about using those on the covered area for the horses. I have to replace the tarps every year and I use the better tarps too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom