Coop help?

kwebb

Chirping
Mar 18, 2018
Texas
Coop size-floor is 4X4 and height is The back is not done but will have 3 nesting boxes. How many hens can I have? I was hoping to have 6 hens and it’s in a back yard so space for run is not a problem. After reading it looks like I may have to make the vents bigger which are on the side. The big square picture will be a door that opens for to clean out the coop.
Any advice would be great. I’m new and this is my first coop/chickens fo raise.

B06FE4C8-41A9-4048-975D-71F7435F8155.jpeg
D98E897A-7392-4774-B465-0F703A876DA0.jpeg
5413699A-1811-4D37-BBA9-268C5E13171E.jpeg

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

I wanna tag @aart and @Molpet and @Pyxis as they are my coop people.

Welcome to BYC!
4 birds tops, unless you have a large run protected from the weather and predators.

Are there rafters under that roof sheathing?
Extended rafters for large roof over hang will help immensely for eave ventilation and rain protection of windows.

Please add your location to your profile,
climate can have a huge affect on coop design.
Guessing you are fairly far south what with the blooms on that tree,
which might offer some nice shade for the coop.
upload_2018-3-19_7-30-35.png

Coop size-floor is 4X4 and height is The back is not done but will have 3 nesting boxes. How many hens can I have? I was hoping to have 6 hens and it’s in a back yard so space for run is not a problem. After reading it looks like I may have to make the vents bigger which are on the side. The big square picture will be a door that opens for to clean out the coop.
Any advice would be great. I’m new and this is my first coop/chickens fo raise.

You only need 1 nest box for a coop that size.

Do you plan on having a covered run as a place to feed and water them?

The quick answer is 4 but that depends on the design of the run IMHO.

JT

I will have a run as well. It is in a back yard so right away the run won't be needed but it will probably be 50-60 feet long at least. Should I close off the other nesting boxes than? I planned to have 6 hens, but I don't know if that is too small of a coop for that many. I live in Wichita Falls, Tx so it gets humid in the hot/humid in the summer.

Are there rafters under that roof sheathing? It is just plywood on top of 2X4's on the roof. I also put some builder weather liner protection around the coop to close off some holes where the plywood did not line up perfect. I will go around the coop with wood from pallets to try to make it look some what decent.

Last edited:
Since the back isn't yet complete can you possibly tack on more space, if you're absolutely set on having 6 chickens? Ideally you want at least 8 sq ft more floor space.

As far as ventilation, you want to maximize it with hot, humid weather, so I would go beyond the recommended 1 sq ft per chicken. I would actually do as much in the way of open air walls as possible - i.e. that big opening in the back could possibly be a giant window.

I think I am just going to go with 4 hens. What do I do with the nesting boxes. It is already fit for 3 boxes but i won't need that many. I don't want to close it off. So should I go ahead and just have 3 nesting boxes? Also the length of the nesting boxes is 14" as I did not factor them having to climb in there to get to it. Is that too big?

Are there rafters under that roof sheathing? It is just plywood on top of 2X4's on the roof.
Better if those 2x4's are on edge on top of wall and extend beyond the walls to form an eave opening for ventilation...also go beyond walls a good foot to protect nests and windows.
Not too late to change it now, you'll be glad you did.

I had that, but I covered it up because I was not sure if it would allow too much draft to come in and be too cold. I butted it up to the roof. I may just cut some holes and cover it with chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom