Coop Humidity

talliejo

Chirping
Nov 30, 2022
Temps hit -18F in Alaska a couple days ago. Coop was at -12. I noticed the greenhouse was at +2 so I decided to move them over there. They seem much happier with warmer temps, more light and dirt to scratch at. But I am concerned about humidity in there. Right now the humidity outside is high. Both greenhouse and outside are at 80%. But this does make me curious as to what humidity levels are too high? Obviously if it’s high outside too, there’s nothing I can do, but I’m just wondering at what point I should be concerned about the greenhouse, if it’s higher than outside. So, my question is, what humidity levels are concerning? Thanks!

So, my question is, what humidity levels are concerning?
You want the humidity inside the coop (or wherever you are keeping the birds) to be no higher than it is outside. What you don't want is to see condensation INSIDE the structure. If that happens, it can condense on the comb and wattles and cause frost bite.

I find it hard to believe that those temps and humidity could co-exist.
I did, too - and wanted to suggest that @talliejo calibrate her hygrometer. But then I checked this:
1669989730172.png

I don't know where in Alaska he or she is located, I just picked a random location. Interesting climate! I've been in south central Canada during winter, and remember how the LOW humidity made the low temps bearable (I was outside at -20 degF in shirtsleeves) - and got stern warnings from my brother about how frostbite sneaks up on you in those conditions.

I agree with the others - you do NOT want condensation on the inside. If there is, then you need to increase ventilation but without creating drafts that will blow on the birds.

I did, too - and wanted to suggest that @talliejo calibrate her hygrometer. But then I checked this:
View attachment 3338954
I don't know where in Alaska he or she is located, I just picked a random location. Interesting climate! I've been in south central Canada during winter, and remember how the LOW humidity made the low temps bearable (I was outside at -20 degF in shirtsleeves) - and got stern warnings from my brother about how frostbite sneaks up on you in those conditions.

I agree with the others - you do NOT want condensation on the inside. If there is, then you need to increase ventilation but without creating drafts that will blow on the birds.

Attachments

• 21E9A507-B35C-4792-8F6A-F834912D5C88.png
    21E9A507-B35C-4792-8F6A-F834912D5C88.png
    813.8 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom