Coop in a harbor freight greenhouse?

You'd need a few solid panels in there, that's what gives those things their strength.
Not sure if the clear panels would be easy to 'replace', but I've never put one together.
Not sure the autovents would work well, if you could protect opening with 1/2 x 1/2" HC from predators without interfering with the auto-open mechanisms.
Attractive as a 'framework' all ready to go, but the details might make it a PITA.
Yep just go to my local glass shop and give them some measurements and the next day i get a replacement panel thats sturdier than the original, so i just replace panels on an as needed basis, and nope the metal mesh wont effect the openers for the vents or the exhaust fan. Not sure what you mean by a PITA, lol, im assuming you mean a complicated headache.

Yep just go to my local glass shop and give them some measurements and the next day i get a replacement panel thats sturdier than the original, so i just replace panels on an as needed basis, and nope the metal mesh wont effect the openers for the vents or the exhaust fan. Not sure what you mean by a PITA, lol, im assuming you mean a complicated headache.
Yep looked up pita, i was pretty close, lol.

Good to know they are easy to get out of the frame....so you can replace the plastic with wood for stiffness and wind block/shade.

Just wanted to update my progress with the coop, its 99% done as far as assembly and modifications go, only a couple reinforcements i still wanna add. Then i plan to add some non essentials thatll make life a bit easier like auto vent openers and an exhaust fan, oh and still gotta add a shade cloth. Overall though its done, chickens seem happy, and the day i finished my nesting boxes i got my first egg a few hour later, lol.

Attachments

• 20200405_160108.jpg
    20200405_160108.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 41
Why so many nests?
Do they sleep in them.....I don't see roosts?
Which panels were replaced with mesh...more pics please?
Lol, sorry for all the Q's...I get going sometimes.

Oh, one more....you might have said but I forgot,(CRS)
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586181613352.png

Are there any panels left off for ventilation at this time? I mean it's still fairly chilly where I'm at, and the greenhouse is darn toasty in comparison, so it definitely would do better with more ventilation than most set ups.

I have a 6x8 just like that. Even with the door and vents fully open it heats up dramatically compared to outside.

On a sunny 30° day in winter it gets well above 85° in there.

Have a back up plan in case that greenhouse turns out to not be so great for chickens.

Edited to clarify......the winter temp was with door and vents closed.
I have already seen temps over 120° when it was 60° outside. I was checking because I wanted to start my seeds in there.

Why so many nests?
Do they sleep in them.....I don't see roosts?
Which panels were replaced with mesh...more pics please?
Lol, sorry for all the Q's...I get going sometimes.

Oh, one more....you might have said but I forgot,(CRS)
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2077472
Im in upstate ny, i did just add that to my profile. Yes the mesh is there its hard to see in the pic though, and the mesh is wrapped around the interior of everywall so panels and mesh can both be on and then i can remove panels as needed and the mesh is always there, the picture was taken through the open door. And yes i know you dont need so many nesting boxes but i always tend to go a bit further than needed, lol. Yes they do sleep in there, by their own will, and i made the boxes bigger than what they say is required for bantams also, i dont like giving them just what is considered necessary i wanted them to have a box they felt secure in but also had a little bit of room to move around, and on colder nights they seem to like doubling up in them for warmth, also the dividers dont go all the way up to allow for their body heat to be shared between boxes and allow more ventilation. Yes i still plan on adding a roost or two depending on how i decide itll fit best, another reason for doin 2 levels of boxes is I also have walkways in front of the boxes so i figured addid more vertical space gave them some more freedom to roam, plus the rooster has hung out up top a few times. I will still be adding and making mods to it but i will try to get some better pictures. Hope that answers all the questions so far, but keep asking them so i dont miss anything or do something stupid, lol.

Are there any panels left off for ventilation at this time? I mean it's still fairly chilly where I'm at, and the greenhouse is darn toasty in comparison, so it definitely would do better with more ventilation than most set ups.
I live in upstate ny and am not as new to greenhouses as i am chickens, i know how hot they can get even on a very cold day, and it only takes a little bit of sunshine to really bump up the heat in those things. So panels are removed and replaced on an as needed basis, we moniter the temp regularly and adjust as needed. I plan on automating the vents and adding an auto exhaust fan, and possibly an auto heat lamp come winter next year, pretty much anything i can do to keep the temp automatically maintained, but for now its all done manually, kind of a pain, but havent even had it up a week yet so still making changes. Also plan on adding a shade cloth to the ceiling to help from getting too hot. Im open to any other suggestions to help keep the temp just right for the chickens, my main goal is to keep them healthy and happy.

I have a 6x8 just like that. Even with the door and vents fully open it heats up dramatically compared to outside.

On a sunny 30° day in winter it gets well above 85° in there.

Have a back up plan in case that greenhouse turns out to not be so great for chickens.

Edited to clarify......the winter temp was with door and vents closed.
I have already seen temps over 120° when it was 60° outside. I was checking because I wanted to start my seeds in there.
Yep, if this experimental coop of mine doesnt work out and becomes more trouble than its worth than i resort to conventional methods. Luckily though so far so good, keeps them warm while we've had temps in the 20's and 30's, and when we've had some warmer and sunnier days just open the vents and/or pop off the panels as needed. We have another greenhouse we use for its intended purpose of growing plants and are familiar with how quickly they can heat up, hence why i intend to automate as much as possible to keep the chickens comfortable, healthy, and safe even if a chilly rainy day were to suddenly turn hot and sunny while im away.

Back
Top Bottom