Coop insulation

D56auction

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Hi All,

I have an old small building that I am using for a coop that is dry and sound. However, it's original construction was a frame building (8 x 12) with cedar siding applied directly to the studs. The siding is in good shape but will be too drafty in the cold weather. Does anyone know of an insulation board that would be "peck proof" that I could cut and insert in the stud spaces?

The alternative, of course, is too fill the stud spaces with bats and put interior sheathing on all the walls. This may be my only alternative, but I'd prefer to find some type of foam insulation with one side hard enough to put up to chicken abuse.

Thanks,
Jack

Probably the cheapest & safest for the chickens that I have seen is to stuff the areas with hay or straw and just nail up a few boards or feed sacks to hold it in place. This way all you have to do is stuff a little more in a couple times a year as needed.

I used those styrofoam panels that you can buy to insulate garage doors. Of carouse the chickens immediately started to pecking at them, so then I covered them with really thin wood panels, and that stopped that. unfortunately, mice have gotten in and tunnel led around in the styrofoam.

Back
Top Bottom