1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop light question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by first time farmer, Mar 16, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I know that they need 14 hours of light to lay but i also use one to heat the coop. It is 33 and the extention cord is cut I don't know what cut it (I think a shovel did) Should i put a light on or what

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Do you mean 33 degrees?
    Does your coop have a window? I guess I'm just not getting your question, I probably need more sleep.
    Anyway, just from my own experience, I only give mine a little night light after dark, I heard forcing them to lay with extra light exhausts them & shortens their lives. For heat, If it gets below freezing, I'll use a heat lamp (with the red bulb) and hang & tie it to something so it can't fall. If it's really cold, I use a space heater with a little cage I built so they can't knock it over or sit/poop on it.

3. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yeah 33 degrees. I need more sleep 2. But yeah i figured out a solution. A ton of shavings just for tonight until i can rig up something on tuesday.

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    No you don't need any heat in the coop, hens and even pullets over 10 weeks they can survive real cold temp, I mean 5 degree will not kill the chicken if there is no draft in th coop, and the coop well insulated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by