1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Ok. So, you would think I were fortunate to have a carpenter for a father and an electrician for a husband, right?

WRONG.

This coop construction has been a total nightmare. No one listens to me what I want and need and they do whatever their latest short cut is. Of course, hubby and dad fight over who knows more about -- whatever it is, when in fact neither one know chicken poop.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Now, for the issue at hand. I live in Mid-State NY, Westchester Area to be exact - about an hour and half north of NYC. I am installing a heater for my coop, for the harsh winters, even though the birds are cold hardy - but just to make them a little more comfortable. (It is one of the child safe heaters that you can touch) and I was wondering what kind of light is best for them in their coop. It is only 8x7 and about 6' high. I know my girls need light to lay eggs... but how much? Also... the coop is against my sunroom - and the wall against the sunroom has a window about 6' long and maybe 2' high. Do they need complete darkness to sleep? Should I get curtains or shutters or something? Or is the light of the mood and the low voltage lighting around the house alright for them?

Should I just put in a fixture? Or flourescent lighting? Low voltage pop lights? HELP!

Thanks
    I love you guys
    No one has yelled at me yet [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I only used 12 hours lighting and my girls didn't slow down laying last winter. It's recommended 14 to 16 hours for optimum performance. Heating your coop will keep the girls from going outside this winter. I don't use heat so mine play in the snow all day unless below 0 F. Since they get daylight we put our light on a timer to turn on at 5:30 am, off at 8:30 am, on again at 3 and off at 5:30 PM. For the size of your coop you still only need one light, the 13w cool white energy efficient bulbs provide the spectrum they need for vitamins.

So have your normal light your hubby wants to wire in with switch just make sure he gives you an outlet, preferably on ceiling so you can plug in a timer and hanging drywall light for energy bulb or plug in floresant.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by