Coop Litter: Novice to all of it

Agree - step one is keeping outside water.... out.
Berms, swales, etc. Even a low wall if necessary. And the very popular roofed run.

Step two is getting inside water out as rapidly as is reasonably possible. A slope inside the run is very helpful for that. Fortunately, as leaf litter slowly decomposes, it piles up soil, providing a nice hill inside the run, over time.

Are you referring to the Horse Stall Refresher?
Yes. I'm now using coffee grounds bedding on my poop boards and so far it's working just as well. I've never cleaned out the boards. I just scoop and add more substrate as needed. So it's coffee grounds mixed with PDZ. Maybe a 50/50 mix by now.
I'm switching to the coffee grounds because it's lighter and less expensive than the PDZ.

Coarse wood chips, the sort you get from a tree-trimming service, are usually considered the gold standard for controlling both mud and odor.

Though my first thought in re: mud is always to improve the drainage around the coop and run rather than trying to treat the symptom.

Following this thread cause I have a similar question. I'm leaving toward this type of wood chips (rainy area, wood chips already there) - but will they hurt the chickens feet? I know I sometimes get splinters when doing gardening around the chips. Also what happens if they eat them?

Following this thread cause I have a similar question. I'm leaving toward this type of wood chips (rainy area, wood chips already there) - but will they hurt the chickens feet? I know I sometimes get splinters when doing gardening around the chips. Also what happens if they eat them?

Chickens will always peck at anything they see, but they quickly learn that wood isn't edible.

I've never heard of them getting splinters. I suppose it's not impossible, but the usual things that hurt chickens' feet are wire and gravel. :)

Coarse wood chips, the sort you get from a tree-trimming service, are usually considered the gold standard for controlling both mud and odor.

Though my first thought in re: mud is always to improve the drainage around the coop and run rather than trying to treat the symptom.
I'm considering setting my coop with a slight slope, 1" x 3'. And drilling a couple 2"holes screened with 1/4" hdwe cloth. Necessary? Useful?.

I'm considering setting my coop with a slight slope, 1" x 3'. And drilling a couple 2"holes screened with 1/4" hdwe cloth. Necessary? Useful?.

It could be.

A good time to look at the drainage in your proposed site is during a torrential downpour. It's not comfortable, but it lets you see how the water runs over the ground in question.

Though putting a coop there can change things -- I have to put gutters on the uphill side of mine because water running off the roof is going where water didn't go before that roof was there.

It could be.

A good time to look at the drainage in your proposed site is during a torrential downpour. It's not comfortable, but it lets you see how the water runs over the ground in question.

Though putting a coop there can change things -- I have to put gutters on the uphill side of mine because water running off the roof is going where water didn't go before that roof was there.
I have an idea for running rain off roof into a barrel. I think my run will have a slight slope sufficient for most rains, and hopefully not too much.

I have an idea for running rain off roof into a barrel. I think my run will have a slight slope sufficient for most rains, and hopefully not too much.
My whole compound (coop and covered enclosed runs) are in a steep slope (from memory it is a 2’ drop over 5’).
I collect water from the coop (at the top of the hill) into a rain barrel and that is what the chickens drink (except when it is frozen solid). The water on the downhill roofs runs off on the ground and flows down the hill away from the coop and runs.
It works great. Litter gets shredded in the coop and kicked downhill and very little water comes inside.

My whole compound (coop and covered enclosed runs) are in a steep slope (from memory it is a 2’ drop over 5’).
I collect water from the coop (at the top of the hill) into a rain barrel and that is what the chickens drink (except when it is frozen solid). The water on the downhill roofs runs off on the ground and flows down the hill away from the coop and runs.
It works great. Litter gets shredded in the coop and kicked downhill and very little water comes inside.
Thank you! I didn't think of using rain runoff to kind of naturally help clean and work the run cover. Don't have to worry about a frozen rain barrel here...mosquitos are a different question...

Back
Top Bottom