Coop litter

skinnyhen

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2015
Just wondering if this looks like it's supposed to. I keep adding to the bedding and they keep scratching down to the vinyl flooring. I would say in any given area it's 3-6 inches when I fluff it up. Some days when I check it, it seems a little damp but that may be because of the cold. It does not smell at all to me. Just curious if I should replace it,or leave it and keep doing what I'm doing.

I keep about about 4-6" of shavings on my vinyl floor in the coop, and yes, they will scratch it it down to the vinyl in places.
It's not really a problem, except the poops will kinda stick to the vinyl and I try to avoid that.
I rake it around and kinda of mix it up every other day or so when I clean the roost boards as it will also compress in places.

Are you using roost/poop boards under your roosts?

I am not trying to 'deep litter compost' inside the coop, I want it to stay dry.

I do not currently use any poop boards under the roosts. I am experimenting. This is my first batch of chickens. They currently do not have a secure outdoor run yet. They will, come spring time. I do not know what method of litter keeping will work best for me. I've read so many things.

There are many ways to bed a coop......if it doesn't stink, it's probably fine.
You'll just have to keep an eye, and nose, on things.

Any thoughts about moving the coop litter to the run/pen area and letting the chickens work it into the ground more before moving it to the compost bin?
Depends on what you use for bedding.
If you use pine shavings, might be better just leave it in the run.....wood takes fore-ever to break down.
If you use straw or hay, I'd put it right into the compost or else you'll lose a lot of the nitrogen in the poop.

Back
Top Bottom