coop location advice please?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nursebecky99, Feb 22, 2013.

1. nursebecky99

nursebecky99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    My oldest son and I will be starting our coop build next week, using the Purina coop plan with a few modifications.
    BUT, I am unsure where to put the coop.
    It can be in full sun against the side of our dutch barn storage building, allowing my (future) hens to get plenty of sunlight for optimal laying, some extra warmth in winter, more level to build on with less tree roots...
    ....OR it can be placed near some large old oak trees with plenty of shade. It gets hot and humid here in the summer, so shade sounds good for then and already grass wont grow in that area...my son mentioned that burying the hardware cloth for the run may be difficult near the trees...

What do you guys think??

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would definitely choose the shade. Chickens are much more cold tolerant than they are heat tolerant. You are far enough south that they will barely notice winter. You can lay the hardware cloth outwards on the ground rather than burying it. Secure it til the grass does it for you.

3. nursebecky99

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    How far should we lay the cloth on the ground outwards? and should I use cement bricks to hold in place? Or is wood sufficient? We have long boards that might work well.

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    12" out sounds like it would work fine to me. You can get blanket staples at Lowes or any box store that you can hammer in the ground to secure your outward cloth. A package of 100 runs about $6 (U staples are about 6" or so long.... I use them to secure the perimeter garden fence to keep out rabbits).

5. nursebecky99

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    thanks!!

6. franzman12

franzman12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Napoleon, Ohio
    A great place is also near a field, so than when you clean you can put all mess right into field.

7. I second the advice on the shade. Cold is NOT an issue in NC but the heat sure is. Your heat is harder on hens than the desert of Arizona. The humidity here is a killer. Seek the cooler spot. During their free range time make sure they can shade to lounge under.

Great Coop Building to ya.

8. nursebecky99

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    Great, we are going with the shady spot for the build. And it will be next to the compost pile for ease of depositing the used soiled litter. Thanks so much for the input everyone.

9. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    I live in a woods so I went with shade.

Windows face the south to catch the low winter sun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by