Coop lumber question

Davidhalpern2

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
I completed building a new coop a month ago. most of the exterior is exterior grade plywood. The main access door has already begun to warp (see pictures). Any suggestions on how to fix/stop this from progressing? My initial thoughts are to add barn door type framing, or try a totally different material for the door, but don't know what that would be?

Last edited:
Often treated wood (framing material or exterior plywood) is sold still "wet" and it is very unstable if not anchored to something else. Basically as it dries, it warps. So I would not recommend using treated pine to make your frame. I would create a frame out of regular untreated pine or cedar 2x4s to attach and straighten up the plywood door. You could also use a weather resistant hardwood like white oak in 3/4" material if you don't want the frame to be too bulky.

Being a builder, it seems your plywood door is the problem. Moisture is probably the culprit. Would suggest framing out of white pine or even cedar. This will make it heavier so the hinges may need to be beefed up also. The door will take the most abuse so go the extra mile. Hope this helps.

Being a builder, it seems your plywood door is the problem. Moisture is probably the culprit. Would suggest framing out of white pine or even cedar. This will make it heavier so the hinges may need to be beefed up also. The door will take the most abuse so go the extra mile. Hope this helps.

Agreed.

Cedar works best in my opinion.

Plywood needs to be nailed to something for it not to warp with moisture.

Back
Top Bottom