Coop maintenance for small shed

Thank you! I live in North Carolina (Raleigh).

:frow from an hour south of you.

I just feel like it will get steamy inside the coop/small shed if I don't clean it up a little more often.

You will need MAXIMUM ventilation in our climate. You might even replace an entire wall with wire. (photos of your coop and run will help us help you).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

This is what one man did with a resin shed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/

If it's steamy, there's not enough ventilation! The resin sheds I've seen do work well for the birds, but they need more window openings and venting.
Pictures?
Mary
Here is what the shed looks like. I replaced the window with chicken wire and we also cut out a "pop" door about the same size as the window that stays open at all times (goes into the secure chicken run). They have freedom to hang out in the run or the coop. They end up playing all day in the run and move into the coop as it starts to get dark

Attachments

• Shed.jpg
    Shed.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 11
Here is what the shed looks like. I replaced the window with chicken wire and we also cut out a "pop" door about the same size as the window that stays open at all times (goes into the secure chicken run). They have freedom to hang out in the run or the coop. They end up playing all day in the run and move into the coop as it starts to get dark
Super cute!!! Definitely looks like it could use some more ventilation to keep it from getting steamy/stinky/ and to minimize respiratory issues for your chickens

You're going to need more airflow than that come hot weather in our climate. :)

Thanks!
Super cute!!! Definitely looks like it could use some more ventilation to keep it from getting steamy/stinky/ and to minimize respiratory issues for your chickens
Thanks! We are trying to find another window to purchase. I reached out to the manufacturer. Would like to add another one on the front door. That should give me about 4-5 SQFT of ventilation. From what I've read you need 1 sqft per chicken or 1 SQFT per 10 SQFT. Not sure which is correct but I think 4-5 SQFT would work. We have 4 chickens and the shed is 4X6. We are also going to install a roof vent too, just ordered it. I also need to get more light inside. We put it out for the chickens 2 nights ago and we are having to walk outside and wake them up in the morning, they are still sleeping at 7:45 in the morning! In their old coop they were up way before that! I believe that is going to mess up their egg cycles, whenever they start producing (which should be very soon...)

Chicken wire will not keep out predators! Hardware cloth, very well secured, is what's necessary.
If you want actual windows, check at a Habitat Restore if there's one close by. You can frame openings, covered with hardware cloth, and add an awning of some sort over each to keep out the rain.
It's going to work out well for your birds!
Mary

From what I've read you need 1 sqft per chicken or 1 SQFT per 10 SQFT. Not sure which is correct but I think 4-5 SQFT would work.

Is it in the sun or the shade?

Here in the Steamy Southeast we need maximum ventilation to keep our coops from turning into rotisseries. :)

Not this:
rotisserie-2-png.3154815

But this:
draft-free-png.3154816

We are also going to install a roof vent too, just ordered it.

Roof vents are a good idea. Heat and ammonia both rise and need somewhere to go. :)

Adding more windows would help. Our shed came with no windows. I put 1 on each end (6' wide) and 2 on the North side (8' wide). The large door was on the South side. We came in about 10" and framed a screen door using hardware cloth. We added a little porch on the front, so I rarely shut the wooden door. This gives them plenty of fresh air exchange.

We also built awnings for the 2 side windows to keep the rain out. The 2 windows on the back are in the run, so no need for awnings.

The roost is to the left of the door, along the West short wall. It's supposed to get below freezing tonight, so the West window is shut as is both North windows. The pop door stays open as does the large door. We're thinking about getting a cupola for the roof for more ventilation, but so far we've had no problems.

IMG_0264.JPG

Adding more windows would help. Our shed came with no windows. I put 1 on each end (6' wide) and 2 on the North side (8' wide). The large door was on the South side. We came in about 10" and framed a screen door using hardware cloth. We added a little porch on the front, so I rarely shut the wooden door. This gives them plenty of fresh air exchange.

We also built awnings for the 2 side windows to keep the rain out. The 2 windows on the back are in the run, so no need for awnings.

The roost is to the left of the door, along the West short wall. It's supposed to get below freezing tonight, so the West window is shut as is both North windows. The pop door stays open as does the large door. We're thinking about getting a cupola for the roof for more ventilation, but so far we've had no problems.

View attachment 3295858
Thank you! Your coop is beautiful!

Chicken wire will not keep out predators! Hardware cloth, very well secured, is what's necessary.
If you want actual windows, check at a Habitat Restore if there's one close by. You can frame openings, covered with hardware cloth, and add an awning of some sort over each to keep out the rain.
It's going to work out well for your birds!
Mary
I meant hardware cloth, I'm still trying to learn all the right words for all this stuff, ha! We have a Habitit Restore down the street, we may go check that out! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom