Coop not yet finished. Looking for suggestions.

LoveMyChicks-Tabitha

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
New Haven Indiana
We are in the process of finishing our coop. The lid for the nesting boxes is VERY heavy. I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix this problem. Also, we have not finished the inside of the coop. They dont have a place to roost yet. All suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated! I'm knew at this! First time ever owning chickens. Thanks!!

105195_photo1294j.jpg

105195_photo0731.jpg

Nice looking coop so far! A few must haves: I can't tell if your box and entry doors have latches and locks, they should no matter how heavy & secure you think they are. We had two smart foxes work together to unlatch our chicken door that was quite secure & 3 ft off the ground = 2 snatched Blue Ameraucanas!
sad.png
Make sure there's no way for a predator to chew their way in, especially vulnerable are the non-raised coops. Check nesting box area, underneath(floor?), doors & vents. Cover any open vents with 1/2" hardware mesh. If you don't have any vents in the gable area, you may want to cut out some door vents. These will help keep the coop cool then can be closed to keep your birds warm in the winter.

I'm not sure if you are looking for suggestions in general, but I'm not seeing any ventilation or windows in your coop. I'd recommend you be sure that there's plenty of ventilation as well as a way for natural light to enter the coop, and for you to be able to peak in and check on them without opening any doors.

I think the hydraulic springs idea is a good one. You might also consider cutting the lid in half, so you only have to lift one half of the lid at a time. There may e a thing or two you need to change in the way it is hinged and to make sure rain or snow won't leak in, but it might solve the weight problem.

I've been very pleased with the roost and poop-slide arrangement I set up in my chicken coop. It has made cleaning very quick and easy. Others have rigged poop-hammocks that seem to do a great job as well.

They would much appreciate a window...I used plexiglass I got from Lowes. Cut a hole in a south facing wall. frame it out with 1 x 1/2 (from Lowes also) insert the plexiglass and then frame in the inside to keep it in place. A little silicone to seal it up.

Looks like nice progress; do a search on ventilation, as member Pat has great information. One square foot of ventilation per bird is I think recommended, so you need to cut open significant vents probably under your eaves and cover securely with hardware cloth.

Nice start and congrats on your new chickens! Looks like the kiddos are enjoying them as well. You have recieved some good sound advice here and I'm sure, your girls will be very happy with thier new set up!

Back
Top Bottom